Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project -- CF dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm liking that angle a little better. And a custom console would be better too. Looking pretty good man. Keep it up and bring us lots of pictures haha. I've always wanted to try to do some stuff with CF so I'm subscribing to this one.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote the second, more angled. God that looks awesome. Reminds me on an Alfa Romeo Brera
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

OK fellows, end of day report. Thats what I have so far. I'd say I am 70% done on the plug. Have decided to cut out the gauge tub and make it a completely separate plug, but i will use that one directly as a mold, than glue it in to the dash. Also, Also, I am thinking of working the trim into the dash. No reason to attach extra plastic on the dash, right?
Thank you for all you feedback. Ideas and concepts are much appreciated.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Teching In

wow you're good. thanks for posting this. and... more pics and updates!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 AM
12 Second Club

subscribing to this asskickery!

great work man !

Chad
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

good luck...it's going to look sweet...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=dvk678;11570431]
Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
I really hope you didnt just put bondo over the fiberglass because thats not how it works?[/QUOTE

Yes, that is fiberglass reinforced bondo, if you have any better ideas how to reinforce bondo, I am all ears. Please dont come in here with deconstructive criticism. You know a better way -- let me know, otherwise, dont post. At any rate, its a plug, I dont see why that matters.
Because Fiberglass cloth is used for strenght with fiberglass resin. The bondo body filler did nothing to it. Its just laying ontop of it. You could have just used tape if that was the case.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=x2jesse1x;11573128]
Originally Posted by dvk678

Because Fiberglass cloth is used for strenght with fiberglass resin. The bondo body filler did nothing to it. Its just laying ontop of it. You could have just used tape if that was the case.
There is no such thing as fiberglass resin. Bondo is basically polyester resin with glass bead media in it. Polyester is perfectly suited for for use with fiberglass reinforcement. Epoxy resin is the resin you are probably referring to. Epoxy is thinner thus soaks through fiberglass cloth better. You should have noticed, that I do not use fiber glass cloth with polyester, I use a sheet, with keeping it light on the harder, to keep Bondo thinner. I work that into the fiberglass and I get reinforced support I am looking for. Putting tape in there makes no sense at all, as the tape doesn't soak up the polyester, neither does it offer structural support, where fiber glass does. I don't see how that doesn't make sense.
Just because I have never done the project like that, doesn't mean that I didn't do my homework.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Im not trying to start a war or anything but how is bondo a resin? I was refering to epoxy resin when I said fiberglass because thats typically what is used to make hte fiberglass cloth hard.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Any way, UPDATE!
Attached another side of the center section. Once it drys I will reinforce the reverse side with Fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. for stiffness, dont what the plug coming apart on me when I take it out of the mold. Bondo worked out great! That stuff is strong and bonds to the surface relatively well. Scuffed some surfaces down with 80 grit sand paper, to help it "grab". I also sanded some bondoed sections. I have a crap load of bubble and defects in those, but no worries there, I'll go over it with a second coat if bondo, than seal it with epoxy sand it, prime it, wax it and we are done with the plug! Can't get any simpler!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good coming along. i just jumped in but i would have to agree the more angle the better. looks great where you are at. and **** all the nay sayers man. do your own thing. if it doesnt work out its a lesson learnt if it does then you are the one with the nice badass looking dash lol. lemme know when you wanna do a camaro. lol
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

looks great so far, it sould turn out amazing, if you decide to make some to sell i would be interested
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're a brave man! haha

Looking good so far!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

cool idea. I must just say, if you go into the auto parts store, and head to the back where they keep the fiberglass matte, you will also find polyester resin, this is whats used with the fiberglass matte. It soaks in and when cured makes it rock hard. Hell the chances of the resin being made by "bondo" is also quite high. I have never seen fiberglass matte used with bondo as a resin........
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea for the project, and you are doing a good job with your plug.

I only have one suggestion that would make your work go a little faster. Be a little more careful when applying your bondo and it will greatly reduce your sanding time between coats.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
looks good coming along. i just jumped in but i would have to agree the more angle the better. looks great where you are at. and **** all the nay sayers man. do your own thing. if it doesnt work out its a lesson learnt if it does then you are the one with the nice badass looking dash lol. lemme know when you wanna do a camaro. lol
Thank you for the support, after huffing epoxy fumes for 6 hours and seeing people helping out with suggestions keeps me going back to it. Plus I really wanna see the final product.
As far as camaro goes, TA dash will fit in, you just going to have 3 round vents instead of 2 rectangular ones. Than, thats an easy fix, if I can get my hands on camaro dash.

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
looks great so far, it sould turn out amazing, if you decide to make some to sell i would be interested
After I am done with my "pilot" project I would be more than glad to spread the Carbon joy to the community. Just let me get this baby done and fidure out everything that goes in. There is no way I am putting my name on an Carbon Fiber crap, she's gotta to be perfect.

Originally Posted by colby72olds
You're a brave man! haha

Looking good so far!
More like stupid. If you have a plan chances are you are not going to go thru with it cause there are way to many steps. That's why I "freestyle" it, by the seat of my pants. LOL
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I got so carried away with replying to posts I forgot to post the progress.

Below you will see my fiberglass reinforcement work. I know it looks like a mess but the structure on the back side doesn't matter, what matters is its strength. After that baby drys I can throw that plug out of the 3rd story window and it will be fine.

This little device is an air distribution systems, at least that what I call it (I dont know what label GM stunk on it). It is not very heavy, but it could be lighter. I am planing on make form when its outlines red, than screwing it on to the firewall. The air deliver will be done via thermal hoses, to vent on driver side and passenger side. Central vents are reserved for gauges, I got to get maximum use out of that extra angle.
Note: I am getting rid of airbag module, the airbag cover will be openable, and all electronics stuffed in there, access. OR I can make it into a hidden beer cooler.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep it up!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

looking good man, cant wait to see this done.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Brain storm session:

After thinking about it for a while I think I am going to go with double sided mold.
I was initially thinking of doing a single piece mold, however I dont think I'll be able to catch all the complexities of the mold that way. I am mainly worried about the steering column mount, I have to retain that cross member.
Also I came up with a sneaky solution for the mounting brackets. Instead of trying to recreate the original geometry for the top mounting screws I am going to make adjustable brackets, that way I have some play in the dash once it goes in. The bottom bolt brackets on driver and passenger sides are going to be molded from the steel support, which makes their location bullet proof. I will not reuse the center mounting bracket, as my car doesn't have I the dash is still more than securely in place.
I am going to try to find some modeling clay after work today. Hopefully so of that air drying stuff and fill in some shapes.

Quick Reply: Project -- CF dash