Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

my license plate mounting input

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my license plate mounting input

so here in texas we have to have license plates on the front..i think it looks cheezy so i put it on my dash..got a ticket..i started thinkin what would it look like on that air dam under the front of the car..i jacked it up took the three middle bolts loose bent the plate a lil on top drilled some holes and it mounts perfect..looks real clean too..i talked to some cops and they said it has to be visible from 500 feet away...you nearly have to be that far just to see it and layin on your belly..haha..works good and havent got stopped yet in over a year.. these pics are on my old car..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

nice lol. i just keep my plate and the mounting bracket in my trunk, and when i get stopped i just say i saw a kid trying to rip it off so i have to order a new bracket and they let me off the hook
Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just have my front license plate installed w/ the firebird plate covering it . so if a cop pulls me over I can just say i came from a meet and forgot to take off the cover
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
i just have my front license plate installed w/ the firebird plate covering it . so if a cop pulls me over I can just say i came from a meet and forgot to take off the cover
I may have to try this lol.

I see so many people here in Ohio with vettes... porsche, and even a lambo once.. that had plates in the front dash. or none at all.

I didnt know they could give you a ticket for that. its clearly visible from 500 feet that way.. not the cleanest in the world.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Virtually nobody here gets messed with for not having a front plate. I've owned F-bodies for 14 years and never ran a front plate on a single one and NEVER (knock on wood) got pulled over or anything for it. I have been pulled over for different infractions (no tickets ) and not a single one said anything about the lack of a front plate. Word is that if they NEED a reason to pull you over, they'll pull the front plate bit. I see virtually every make and model on Ohio roads don't run a front plate with no ill effects.

I did however read it IS legal to have it on the air dam. I keep mine under my seat on the SLIM chance I get pulled over I can throw it in the dash and play stoopid like I thought I could display it there.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hlaalu
nice lol. i just keep my plate and the mounting bracket in my trunk, and when i get stopped i just say i saw a kid trying to rip it off so i have to order a new bracket and they let me off the hook
I do the same my plan if I ever get pulled over for it is to say it ripped off in the car wash and I gotta re mount it. They are pretty lenient about that around here anyways though they're more concerned about the riced out hondas with obnoxiously bright HID's.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got pulled over by campus rent-a-cop 6 months after I bought my car for no front plate. Usually they'll just get you w/ that along with something else. Rarely do they pull anyone over around here just for no front plate. But his *(#*&*@& did. I ran w/ a plate for a few years and have now had it back off for about a year or so. (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem yet. Like SweeTBone said, most cops won't waste time pulling you over for JUST a front plate infraction. But they knick you for it if they stopped you for something else.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a idea for ya... when i mounted mine, i made it so the text on the plate was all the way at the bottom. Then just bend the plate underneath so it dont hang any lower. Makes it more visible
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by claytonr
so here in texas we have to have license plates on the front..i think it looks cheezy so i put it on my dash..got a ticket..i started thinkin what would it look like on that air dam under the front of the car..i jacked it up took the three middle bolts loose bent the plate a lil on top drilled some holes and it mounts perfect..looks real clean too..i talked to some cops and they said it has to be visible from 500 feet away...you nearly have to be that far just to see it and layin on your belly..haha..works good and havent got stopped yet in over a year.. these pics are on my old car..

Highway patrol pulled me over when i had it there like 2yrs ago so i just took it off period.

Originally Posted by hlaalu
THats EXACTLY what i do now....lol...i tell them i was at the club and came out and my licenese plate and bracket were on teh floor and the new bracket hasnt come in yet.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lotus289
I got pulled over by campus rent-a-cop 6 months after I bought my car for no front plate. Usually they'll just get you w/ that along with something else. Rarely do they pull anyone over around here just for no front plate. But his *(#*&*@& did. I ran w/ a plate for a few years and have now had it back off for about a year or so. (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem yet. Like SweeTBone said, most cops won't waste time pulling you over for JUST a front plate infraction. But they knick you for it if they stopped you for something else.
I got pulled over by a city cop for no front plate, apparantly that was enough for them to think i was being a suspicious person and search my car.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I run a front plate, don't give a crap about it either. I have no reason to fight the law, makes life less stressful when you follow the rules. Though, my homemade bracket does look better than stock.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Cops around here will pull you over all day for no front plate. My dads truck has a shaved front bumper and within a week of him starting to drive it he got pulled over twice in 2 different towns. I got pulled over in my Grand Am with the front cover in the place of the front plate $186 ticket for that one. Got pulled over for no front plate on my Grand Prix (plate cover) but got out of the ticket, pulled over in my Sunfire for no plate so I mounted that one on the airdam, but it got ripped off at some point. Also I was working on a car for a friend one time also (08 Civic) and got stopped by a state trooper for loud exhaust and no front plate. He tried to give me a ticket for both, but I told him I wouldn't pay them since it wasn't even my car and it was a customers car that I was simply working on. He drug it out for a while and finally gave me a warning, what a dick.

But now with the Camaro I haven't got pulled over in the 3 years I have been driving it (knock on wood) but its not too loud, I don't drive like an ***, and I usually wave at the cops if I meet them (I hate them but I try to keep the peace so to speak). If I get pulled over for it I truely don't have a front plate (lost from the lack of being on my car LOL) so I will have to pay the $35 for a replacement and hope to not get stopped again, or mount it on the air dam to get ripped in half

Cops around here pretty much suck in general, but I don't like getting pulled over, especially in a modified car with no cats, or any emmision junk for that matter just waiting for them to give me tickets for anything.

BTW sorry for rambling
Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Just got that ticket 2 weeks ago,it's bullshit.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

I have a show-n-go plate that mounts under the bumper and flips up, but I haven't driven with it up since I installed it and haven't gotten pulled over yet *crosses fingers*. But if I do I'll just say I "forgot to flip it up, sorry officer"
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

so you got a ticket for having it in your windshield, but you put it in a less viasable place?

law states needs to be visable from the frnot of the car, no matter where it is on your vechile, bumper, windshield, hood wherever
Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Havok2
so you got a ticket for having it in your windshield, but you put it in a less viasable place?

law states needs to be visable from the frnot of the car, no matter where it is on your vechile, bumper, windshield, hood wherever
Around here you can't put it in the windshield because they say that its a view obstruction. So instead of just the $186 ticket for no plate you also get a $158 ticket for view obstruction.

I would just tell the cop that my car doesn't have a bracket to mount the plate on and I didn't want to drill any holes. Just play dumb and most of the time they will let you go with a warning or a fix-it ticket
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh, I love Alabama. No emmision BS and no front plate to worry about
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by colby72olds
Ahh, I love Alabama. No emmision BS and no front plate to worry about
We don't have to worry about the emissions here in wisconsin and there is a bill thats tryingg to get passed so we don't have to have front plates too, trying to cut the cost of the plates when you get a car. Right now its around $250 for just title transfer, plates, and stickers for a year.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Most cops around my area don't really care, but I can remember one occasion when I passed by a state trooper on my way home. NEVER have I seen someone do a 3 point turn in the road as fast as he did just so he could pull me over for having no front plate.

Quick Reply: my license plate mounting input