Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting Rid Of Swirls........

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Getting Rid Of Swirls........

I do not have a PC, all i have is an orbital buffer. So more than likely it will all be done by hand......

But what is the best stuff that i can get from like AutoZone that will get rid of my swirls? I want my paint to be brillaint, glossy, deep and wet looking... My paint jsut needs some help

I think my absorber is what gave me my swirls. So i have since bought a leaf blower... I will then purchase a waffle weave from Steve at Tropi-Care... Speaking of Steve.. He will not detail my car i am jsut playing..

So please help me. I have used the Meguiars 3 step process, and the NXT line too.. So what else should i do????
Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad are the swirls? Bad swirls are pretty tough to get rid of by hand. Most heavy polishes and compounds are made for machine polishing. Does your orbital not work well at all?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

If you must get the stuff from an auto parts place....
Get Meguiars Mirror Glaze line.

Willing to order online??
Prima Swirl followed with Prima Amigo and a wax works really well...even by hand.
Although the Swirl will take a LONG time to work in by hand. Hell, takes a long time with a PC or Flex.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had swirls BAD about a month ago. I used Meguiars Swirl X and I was very well pleased. Did mine before the gathering here in GA. My swirls where so bad I wasn't going to take my car to the show. But Swirl X saved the day for me. I did it too by hand. Had to do the car 3 times though, PITA !!!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
I had swirls BAD about a month ago. I used Meguiars Swirl X and I was very well pleased. Did mine before the gathering here in GA. My swirls where so bad I wasn't going to take my car to the show. But Swirl X saved the day for me. I did it too by hand. Had to do the car 3 times though, PITA !!!
i would recommend both these products. swirl X is good, but mirror glaze is the ****, i always use it!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would PM Steve. He should be able to help you out.

I just got in a bunch of new supplies to work on the DD tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos

Willing to order online??
Prima Swirl followed with Prima Amigo and a wax works really well...even by hand.
Although the Swirl will take a LONG time to work in by hand. Hell, takes a long time with a PC or Flex.
I have never seen the Mirror Glaze line.. I will look for that and Swirl X.....
Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
Did the Swirl X just fill in the swirls? Or does it get rid of them completly?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Swirl X and I think it just fills them in because after a while they reappear
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
I've used Swirl X and I think it just fills them in because after a while they reappear
Yeah, swirl X is just a high filler wax... once had a guy "detail" my Z28 for me and that's what he used.. want to guess how mad I was 2 weeks later?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah i need something that is going to 'cut' them out....
Old 06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Yeah i need something that is going to 'cut' them out....
then you really need a PC. it will take hours and hours by hand, and your arms will likely fall off at the end. a PC is definetely a good investment. itll last years, and can do more then just apply swirl remover. i prefer to apply wax by hand; but with a black pad, you can apply any wax, glaze, or sealer with the PC, and remove it. if you ever need anymore more then a swirl remover, the PC is the only thing that will safely work.

for just swirls, tropicare SC (swirl cutter) works well. if they still wont come out, then you need to step up in compounding.

i dont think the absorber gave you the swirls. it was probably the orbital buffer, or whatever you may have used by hand. i bought the waffle towel from TC, and i really dont like it. it doesnt absorb worth a damn once it gets wet. all it does is smear the water around, creating streaks like you wouldnt believe. you ALWAYS have to follow up with a wax or detail spray. i bought the absorber because i didnt want to HAVE to detail/wax after every single wash. sometimes all i wanted to do was wash her after a track day, and back in the garage, without spending another hour plus detailing.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a PC ya cheap bastard!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Autozone and Pep Boys carry a 7" variable speed circular polisher for under $60 (vector and black/decker). I would only advise using it after purchasing a velcro backing plate and the appropriate foam pad from an auto body supply.
This will serve you well and give you results that cannot be accomplished by hand for about $80-$85 in total.

3M's Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafina SE is an awesome swirl remover!

Last edited by DriftR; 06-20-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I do not have a PC, all i have is an orbital buffer. So more than likely it will all be done by hand......

But what is the best stuff that i can get from like AutoZone that will get rid of my swirls? I want my paint to be brillaint, glossy, deep and wet looking... My paint jsut needs some help

I think my absorber is what gave me my swirls. So i have since bought a leaf blower... I will then purchase a waffle weave from Steve at Tropi-Care... Speaking of Steve.. He will not detail my car i am jsut playing..

So please help me. I have used the Meguiars 3 step process, and the NXT line too.. So what else should i do????
It's too bad you aren't closer to our location or I could show you firsthand how to go about restoring the finish on your car. Hand attempts can be very difficult or time consuming. If your orbital buffer does not have the ability to adjust the speeds like the PC, you will be unable to have much of an effect on removing the fine lines or deeper scratches from the clearcoat. The PC is that effective, safe and user friendly for all experience levels.

In the last 2 days I have shown 3 women how to use the PC equipped with an orange pad/Menzerna SIP combo. Afte a short learning curve with the machine use, they successfully were removing fine lines/swirl scratches from both a BMW and Maserati.

As for your absorber, you need to check all items that come into contact with the paint. If it leaves fine lines on the back of a CD, it will also scratch the clearcoat.

I have been getting great results with microfiber waffle weave towels for years. For best results with their use, I get them barely damp to start. Drawing the towel lightly over the surface to absorb the water, I'll wring it out as it get saturated. Using detail spray to remove any light water spotting after drying is fast, easy and removes any static charge from the surface.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

I keep seeing these orange pads and different color pads being talked about on here, are those like some kind of polishing pads, I was looking for some in the autostore the other day and not sure if I found them, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for.. can someone put up a pic of one so I know what they look like XP I'm a visual learner lol. Also I have a buffer with a wool pad..would this work or can I put those orange pads on that?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imaprobassangler
I keep seeing these orange pads and different color pads being talked about on here, are those like some kind of polishing pads, I was looking for some in the autostore the other day and not sure if I found them, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for.. can someone put up a pic of one so I know what they look like XP I'm a visual learner lol. Also I have a buffer with a wool pad..would this work or can I put those orange pads on that?
Based on what you wrote, I'm guessing you don't have much experience. Put the wool pad down and walk away from it.

Check out autogeek. The orange pad is by Lake Country. Try it on a Porter Cable 7424 with Menzerna SIP. You will have great results.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

wool pads are only for heavy compounding. theyre a very rough cut pad, used for removing heavy oxidation and deep swirls/scratches, with a rough compound.

try tropicares website, and get one of their starter kits. has about everything you need to start buffing.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by imaprobassangler
6.5" Lake Country orange foam CCS at $11.19 each w/free shipping-

http://www.tropi-care.com/Orange_Lig...d_p/tcp-02.htm

We also have LC 5.5" flat foam pads in orange,white, and yellow at $8.49 each w/free shipping.

4" Lake Country pads@$4.09 each shipped.

Quick Reply: Getting Rid Of Swirls........