Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

caliper painting ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliper painting ????

im going to be painting my brake calipers this weekend and i was wondering if it is neccessary to put clear coat on them. also i want to put the camaro decals on them. do i put them on while their tacky wet or completely dry?
Old 06-14-2002, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: caliper painting ????

Clear coat is not absolutely necessary, but may give you and prolong the high gloss shine, especially with the 500* paint, say by Duplicolor.

Decals go on after the paint is fully cured.

Depending on what color you want Plasticat makes excellent paint specifically for calipers, but is only limited to red, yellow, blue and black. Very resistant to brake dust. You can get it a Pep Boys.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for your help. thats the same paint i bought at pep boys yesterday. ill just go ahead and spend the few extra dollars and get the clear coat.
and thanks again i appreciate it!!!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:43 AM
Teching In

I just did the drivers side last weekend and am going to finish the passenger side this weekend.

I used duplicolor high heat paint and clear coat. Put 3 coats of paint on, and while the last coast was slightly tacky I installed the sticker. Then put 3 coats of clear to help hold the decal in place and increase the shine.

If I had my camera I'd post some pictures, but I must say, they couldnt have turned out any better. They look awsome!

Suggestion: Take the extra time and remove the caliper totaly. Some people try to mask everything on vehicle and hang it in the wheel well with a coat hanger. Saveing them the hassle of bleeding the brake lines. (Its not worth it) Its a lot easier to work with when its off the car and in your hands. Besides, it makes painting easier.

TIP: The calipers fit perfectly atop a can of old spray paint. Great for elevating the caliper while painting, and it allows yout to hold it up and spray the underneath areas without getting finger prints on the already painted areas.

Good luck.