Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tail Light / Brake Light Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tail Light / Brake Light Kill Switch

I know this has been discussed a little before, although not really in depth for a electrical laymen such as myself.

First off the car is a 2002 WS.6. I'm wanting to wire up a tail light and a brake light kill switch. I have a Chilton manual which isn't as good as some manuals but is better than nothing. I've been looking over the External Lighting wire diagram and I think I have it figured out.

Ok, here is what I'm thinking.

-The complete tail light kill could be achieved by running the wires that are in the blue circle and ground them using the ground in the red circle. Then to kill the lights the circuit would be broken near the red circle ground. Does that sound about right?

-The brake light kill could be achieved by breaking the circuit on either the green, purple or pink highlighted wire. It looks to me like I wouldn't want to break the circuit on the pink highlighted wire because my 3rd brake light would still be operational. So it looks to me like the green or the purple highlighted wire would be the way to go. Does it matter which one?

Another question I have is should I use a relay or not? I know some electrical systems use them and some don't. I'm not really sure what would constitute the requirement of a relay.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That sounds about right, and I'm not even going to ask why you need to disable your break lights because I'm sure it's not legal.

Unless you're looking to sandbag a race by riding the brakes a little and don't want your competition to know.... if that's the case, that's pretty smart.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im missing the point, of making your brake lights inoperable.

Clue me in please.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever pass by a cop when his speed gun is out and there is a car next to you. you can slow down without the cop seeing you hit the brakes and might blame the other guy lol
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking if your trying to out run the cops at night its nice to have the abilty to turn off your taillights so they cant see you ahead of them.

On the flip side....if you do get caught thats a FELONY and will kind of **** up the rest of your night.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Unless you're looking to sandbag a race by riding the brakes a little and don't want your competition to know.... if that's the case, that's pretty smart.
Man i hate that racing bull.

I guess, i consider my self a car guy, and not a d-bag racer. LOL FADI
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
ever pass by a cop when his speed gun is out and there is a car next to you. you can slow down without the cop seeing you hit the brakes and might blame the other guy lol
Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I am thinking if your trying to out run the cops at night its nice to have the abilty to turn off your taillights so they cant see you ahead of them.

On the flip side....if you do get caught thats a FELONY and will kind of **** up the rest of your night.

OK. those make sense.

I didnt really think about illegal stuff.

I thought he was trying to do it, for something... idk... dumb.

LOL. I may put one in. lol
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Ha Ha, I was thinking the same thing!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
That's basically the two main reasons for this mod. Plus I'm sure there are some other pros to having this ability that I haven't thought up yet.

I wouldn't use this to run from the cops, if I ever did use this in a law enforcement situation it would be to mislead. If **** ever hit the fan bad enough that I had to run, a felony would probably be the least of my worries.
That's some good information to have, knowing that running from the cops without your lights on is a felony. Although I thought that running from the cops at all was a felony.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Yea I was also thinking about doing this for the simple fact that I occasionally enguage in late night runs in uh.... Mexico and this would come in handy on those long, dark, straight country roads in mexico when the Po shows up... Especially since they dont take kindly to street racing in Calif uh... er... I mean mexico
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

an even better idea...completely turn your lights off. then get a pair of nightvision goggles and haul ***....
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Rockstar

OP, if you do this and it works, post up a photo write up, I really wanna do this mod.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

easy, find your brake stop switch on the pedal and take the ground wire and put a switch inline with that wire.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
That's basically the two main reasons for this mod. Plus I'm sure there are some other pros to having this ability that I haven't thought up yet.

I wouldn't use this to run from the cops, if I ever did use this in a law enforcement situation it would be to mislead. If **** ever hit the fan bad enough that I had to run, a felony would probably be the least of my worries.
That's some good information to have, knowing that running from the cops without your lights on is a felony. Although I thought that running from the cops at all was a felony.
It's not a felony in IL, until you disobey two or more traffic signal devices. Not sure what the law is in CA though.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

take your bulbs out.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this thread is great....
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

An "easy" way from an electrical standpoint would be to put a switch in the main ground wire connecting the tails to the chassis. Open the switch opens the ground, which in turn opens the circuit so all the tails go completely dark.

If your intent is to keep the running lights on but no brake lights, then what KILLER-LS1 said is easy too, but not quite what he said. A simple switch in line with the brake light switch will disable brake lights.

However, DON'T ground any hot lines. You'll just blow fuses that way. Sure your lights will be off but you won't be able to turn the lights back on
Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Yea I was also thinking about doing this for the simple fact that I occasionally enguage in late night runs in uh.... Mexico and this would come in handy on those long, dark, straight country roads in mexico when the Po shows up... Especially since they dont take kindly to street racing in Calif uh... er... I mean mexico
I've been contemplating this, for that same reason.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I had this switch to my 87 daytona shelby Z... it was easy to do, i did just like SparkyJJO said with the tail lights ground, but yeah that wont knock out the 3rd brakelight on the spoiler.

I basically had it so people/cops had a hard time following me, since i did all kinds of stupid things in high school lol.

Its also VERY good for A$$HOLES on the highway who love to ride your a$$ for no reason... just flip the switch and slowly hit the brakes, but watch very close in your mirror b/c the look on their faces when they realize it is GREAT!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
an even better idea...completely turn your lights off. then get a pair of nightvision goggles and haul ***....
I could actually do that. My dad is a crop duster and is thinking about buying some night-vision goggles so he can fly at night. I wouldn't be anything to borrow them. Although I would say that's going a little too far.

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
OP, if you do this and it works, post up a photo write up, I really wanna do this mod.
I certainly intend to, I just need to get some info and the mod will be underway.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
An "easy" way from an electrical standpoint would be to put a switch in the main ground wire connecting the tails to the chassis. Open the switch opens the ground, which in turn opens the circuit so all the tails go completely dark.

If your intent is to keep the running lights on but no brake lights, then what KILLER-LS1 said is easy too, but not quite what he said. A simple switch in line with the brake light switch will disable brake lights.

However, DON'T ground any hot lines. You'll just blow fuses that way. Sure your lights will be off but you won't be able to turn the lights back on
Should I just use a switch for breaking the circuit or should I use a relay? I'd like to do this once, the right way.

Quick Reply: Tail Light / Brake Light Kill Switch