Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Painting Problems

What do you do to get your paint to come out like a cars paint job? Whenever I paint anything on my car, as soon as I touch it, it will scratch or stain. If you rub a dirty finger across it you have to repaint it. Why is it doing this? Would clearcoat or primer help cause I'm not using either. I just spray four or five thin coats on about twenty minutes in-between coats. Is that not long enough? I would like to paint my fuse panel covers, cruise control cover, hood struts and stuff of that sort. I would also like to paint the lower air box but a paint guy said it would be hard to keep the paint on it, that I would have to use the flex paint like they put on the bumbers- but its $$$. He also said I would have to do major prep work. Pull it off and scrub it with Comet, then put it under a heat lamp for 24 hours to extract the oils from it and then re-scrub it with Comet again. What do you guys recommend and what kind of paint should I use? Same questions for interior pieces also. How come whenever I see painted interior pieces they always look VERY dull-even when gloss paint is used? I want them to come out like the piece that goes between the seats in a corvette. They look just like the cars paintjob. How do I aquire that look without paying out my @$$ to a paint shop?
Old 06-21-2002, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Painting Problems

Clearcoat and primer... it will definitly help!
Did both when I painted my interior pieces. Makes a huge difference.. also, do a couple coats of clear, let dry for a day or two, and wet sand and clear again. It comes out just like your cars paint.

Jon
www.ignitionsyndicate.com/jon
Old 06-21-2002, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Painting Problems

What kind of primer, paint and clear should I use? Are there different kinds? What about that flex-paint? Is that guy right about that, will regular paint not hold up? As long as it stays good looking for a couple years, thats all I'm conerned about- I can always repaint Anyway, what about primer? I've heard of light and dark primer's so what are the principles when using them and how much do I use, how many coats? I plan on doing several things under the hood in silver and Red. Also, how do I wet sand and what do I need to do it?