Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Modifying stock seats (make them lighter)

Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying stock seats (make them lighter)

I want to reupholster and make the stock seats lighter. Is it possible to remove the power seat motor for the lower back lumbar? Along with the side lumbar squeezers? I want the side lumbars to be permanently squeezed, so is it possible to keep them in a locked position without a motor?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

bumppppp
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

some of the kits cover the entire seats so you can remove the side bolsters and i am guessing you can take out the motors without a problem that is what i plan on doing when i reupholster my seats as well. there is also that plastic piece behind the seat that i believe you can also take off.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Depends on the lumbar and bolster system they use. If it's air, then you could pump it up, and seal it off, but probably never get it totally sealed, and they usually leak down over time anyway. If it's mechanical. Then you may be able to set it, remove the cable, or tie off the cable in the position you want. Good luck, and I work for a auto interior supplier in the test lab so I can try and help you through stuff. Just never worked on those seats in particular. If you want light, might want to get a hold of some corvette seats. Especially the Z06. They're manual. Light wieght. Awesome comfort too.
Or the Cadillac ones, they are on the same line.
Not quite as light though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modifying stock seats (make them lighter)