Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Manual console into a auto car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did this to my car. i can only go to OD and D. i never went into the lower gears, so i didn't care. mine is a 96 console, but 97-02 should have the same issues as they both switch the ash tray from being in front of the shifter for an auto to behind the shifter for a manual shifter plate. anything can be made if you got the talent and i'm sure you can grind the manual shifter plate to shift through all the auto gears. but you would probably need to have space into the ash tray area, which means you have to eliminate the ash tray. you wouldn't need all of the ash tray area though, so i'm thinking you not only need to grind but also have to partially fill in the ash tray area. i see two issues. one, it's a lot of work. two, the shift boot area would be huge, that in itself will probably make it ugly even if you do great work on the shifter plate to make it work. the reason the manual shift plate looks so good is that it removes that big eye sore that is the auto shift ****/shaft and the P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1 and compacts it into the small shift boot area giving it a more simple look that easily flows into the interior.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want a manual car, buy one instead. Most of the people who want to do this probably just want the look of a manual (which i'll agree its annoying when people who don't know **** about cars get into mine point and say "thats unfortunate")

I've heard of a lot of people having the same problems as mtedenajimenez where they can't shift into the lower gears. Not really any reason to shift around, but it just defeats the purpose.

I've got an A4 and put a redline boot on there, and had an adapter with a B&M hammer **** but I don't currently use it. Looks just as good IMO.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done this mod. Here's my opinion.
  • I never use the lower gears, so I don't care I can't get lower than 3.
  • Anything to replace the excessive amount of plastic in our cars is good IMO.
  • No one will think it's not an automatic.
  • Many premium sports cars now have a boot, even if it is electronically shifted (See the new M series)
  • A custom boot from Redline is 1000x better than the rattling stock plastic.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trojan35
I've done this mod. Here's my opinion.
  • Anything to replace the excessive amount of plastic in our cars is good IMO.
  • A custom boot from Redline is 1000x better than the rattling stock plastic.
Definatelly agree on these 2. I just feel like a lot of people are kind of butt hurt about having an automatic so they swap a manual console. I have a Redline auto boot and e-brake boot on mine, and it looks 100x better. I'm not debating whether it should have a boot, I think boots make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Manual console into a auto car?