Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

removing reflective chrome inside tail light

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Default removing reflective chrome inside tail light

Ok, I have one tail that the reflective chrome is all flaked off inside. So one is really bright and the other has a smoked/tinted look at night. So in lieu of spending alot of money for a new one, is there a way to remove the chome from the good one so they match?

Im sure 99% of people would never notice anything wrong with them if they were both the same, it just sticks out cause they are different
Old 10-16-2009 | 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could pop them in the oven for a bit and seperate the lens from the housing, then you could just sand down the crappy one and paint it with a reflective or "chrome-like" paint so they match.
Old 10-16-2009 | 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have failed when i tried the oven method. i lucked up and found one on ebay for 85 shipped. Just look around. FYI dont buy one with the reflective coating gone lol
Old 10-16-2009 | 09:35 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

The bad part of not having any reflecting material inside the taillight is that during the day people will not be able to see bulb signaling to turn or brake, it increases your chances of getting rear ended, police stopping you for "no lights". I once had the passenger side taillight like that because of water that got inside.

Quick Reply: removing reflective chrome inside tail light