Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
this is the exact same stuff as my car. and my car is a texas car? weird.
I think all the cars from the factory got that stuff on the rocker panels. i'm not sure about the undercoating on the floorboard though. most cars i've seen had body colored painted floorboards while mine is kind of a charcoal gray and somewhat dull looking. not gloss black like the car itself. also it looks like its got kind of a rough coating in that pic.

my carfax does state that in september 2002 when the car was in for service that these things were done

Vehicle serviced
Paint sealant/undercoating installed
ABS system checked
Cooling system checked
Rear brakes replaced
Drive belts checked

I don't know if that just means it got a wax job or if the dealership did actually undercoat the car.

incidently, i've seen a lot of 4th gens with paint missing in the wheelwells and/or an undercoating on half of the wheelwell lip. mine does not have this.

this is what i'm talking about. notice how my car has full paint there. on some fbodies the inner portion of the lip down by the ground effects has no paint or has been painted over with something else. you can see a little bit of my undercoating in the wheel well in the pic, but what i'm talking about is ive seen that stuff sprayed on part of that large black inner fender lip just in front of the tire.

I took that pic after using touch up paint to fix a few chips on the lip to prevent corrosion from starting. even though i don't drive my car in th winter i don't like to have exposed bare metal.

also feeliing around behind that little wheel well lip i found a few places where there were little pieces of something stuck to the wheelwell. almost like dried bits of something like rustproofing that maybe spotted up in one place or another. whatever it was it wouldn't budge. i tried to see if it was dirt or something and tried to pick it off and it was bonded in there tight.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-13-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm. i was just looking at my wheel wells and while i don't think i have rust anywhere in there this kind of concernes me. i have some sharp edges if i run my finger along the fenderwell lip. i suppose these weren't perfectly made cars but i hope this isn't rust bubbling or anything. the back side of the metal is totally clean FWIW. i generally go over the unpainted backside every few weeks with a damp rag to clean any dirt out fo there. sorry they are a little blurry. it's hard to take a clear shot aiming the camera up in a dark spot under a car in a garage like that.

This is the passenger side

and this is the drivers side.

that is right at the middle of the top of the wheel well btw. You can see the rustproofing i was talking about earlier in the wheel wells

Quick Reply: Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?