Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

powdercoating fail- help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powdercoating fail- help

ok so i posted this up a week or so ago. When I had my accident, it destroyed one of my powdercoated rims got destroyed. so I got a new oem wheel from the body shop. I decided to have my rims redone in a diff color, from gold to black. I called up the powdercoating shop where I went before, explained the situation to them, that i got a new wheel out of it and wanted to get the others redone. The guy said $125 for all 4. I said wow really? he said yes. I explained to them that the car was my daily and that i could only get 2 rims done at a time. ok thats fine no problem. They were gonna powder over the gold. So i take the first 2 rims down, and they get done perfect. I pick them up, and pay . They had mentioned to me that the one wheel was a regular oem alloy wheel, and i had to re explain that i told the guy on the phone that and he said it was no big deal, still 125. So they said cuz it would normally be more expensive, but ok. So I payed what it originally was, 125. So i bring back the second set. A few days later I go to pick them up, the guy who i had spent 10 mins talking to when i picked up the other set acted like he didnt know who i was. I take the rims outside and they're clearly a diff color. They were a metallic black. So I went and told them before I left, and they said that it was the gold shining through. I said one of the rims up front was gold and came out perfect flat black. So the guy got pissed off and took one of the wheels back in sayin he'd repowdercoat them. ok. So, a week later I go to pick them up, the guy doesnt even say hi to me, he just goes to get the rims. He brings them up and I take them outside and they'e still the wrong color. ffffuuuu. So I go back inside and take this guy out. The guy goes into how he gave me a good deal on them, and that if i wanted them done right, i should have brought all 4 in at the same time. I re explained how i told him why i couldnt. he goes into about how if they send them out to get stripped, that they can start over, and that it'd be $25 a rim. I told him that I shouldnt have to pay more to get this done right what I've already paid for, and that to get two rims switched out goes for $50 now. The guy says he'd shoot them one more time, gets pissed off, and scoops the rims up and storms off inside. i've never had bad service like this before. So monday, i called up and offered to pay for ONE of the rims to get stripped so it could be done right. The guy says that i should have gotten all 4 done at once, and then that he cant garuntee they'll be the right color. So today the shop calls, and says they're done. I asked the woman to take them out in the sun to look at them to make sure they're the right color. She calls me back saying they look good, I said i want to make sure they're flat black with no metallic sheen. She said that the guy wasnt going to powder them again, that he cant afford to do that. She says that oh i think you'll like these, and that I should put one set on one side of the car, and the other on the other side. I said to her now why would I do that. Why would i have one color on one side and a different one on the other? I want all 4 wheels done the same color. So she said she'd go talk to the doucehbag i had been deeling with thus far, and call me back, which they havent yet. What am i supposed to say? what am i supposed to do?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thattttttt sucks, what a ******* worthless powder coater... he should've known that powder coating over a wheel that's already powder coated was going to affect the finish....The best thing to do is pay him $50 bucks to have him powdercoat all the wheels at the same time again. Then you'll have it done right and you''ll be at the average cost of powder coating all four wheels
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

that'd be fine but how? i dont have 4 extra rims to put on the car, let alone another 200 to have the rims taken off and reinstalled
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Launching!

How long is it taking them to do the wheels after you drop them off? I would find some way to get them all 4 wheels if you can.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

week turnaround each time, and with my luck they'll just shoot them the wrong color again so ill have 4 wrong rims. and i dont have 4 jackstands either
Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

If the 2 arent right again when you go to pick them up, I would leave them there. Go home and take the other 2 off your car and leave it up in the air and drop them off at the shop(pay the $50). Find another means for transportation for the week.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea but i only have two jackstands, i dont have a way of havin the car in the air to take the other rims off
Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Oh, I assumed you had a extra pair to roll around on while 2 were in the shop because you DD the car. HMMM
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LWCS561
yea but i only have two jackstands, i dont have a way of havin the car in the air to take the other rims off
No cinder blocks, bricks or wood?

C'mon man, you gotta have something!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pair of jack stands. . . . 20 or 30 bucks. . . save money in long run. . .
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still think you got a deal. I paid $100/rim to powdercoat mine. The rims should have been stripped before powdercoating.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes, to get what you really want, and done the right way, costs more than you're willing to spend. This really does sound like you need to either find a happy middle ground with the powder coater, or spend the money and have them done the right way.

If you can't afford to do it the right way now, then save your money till you can. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Just spray paint them for now and save your money till you can get them all stripped and redone