Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Two quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two quick questions

First, what is the brightest non HID bulb? I've had HIDs in my lows for a few months and I just installed them into my fog lights today (pain in the *** btw) and now my high beams feel lacking. I don't want to install HIDs in them because with the constant on-off flicking that can't be good for the ballast...and they take time to warm up. So I just want a really bright regular bulb (and not ridiculously expensive)

Also, does the air damn under our cars serve an important purpose or what? It's SO ugly I can't stand walking up to my car and seeing this ugly plastic piece sticking out like somethings broken. Will removing it cause any problems?

Last edited by ncfastls1; 04-25-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

the air dam is pretty important for cooling your car... i wouldnt mess with it
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflective) bulbs.

There some fakes out on ebay so make sure you are getting real ones.

HIR was originally developed by GE and sold by GE and Toshiba. There are 3 versions. The oldest version kinda looks like an HID bulb, but is fragile. The later versions look like that picture above.

HIR is a bulb that plugs directly into the stock 9005/9006 plug. Basically its a Halogen bulb with a coating that reflects Infrared light back to the filament causing it to burn brighter. The part numbers for HIR bulbs are HIR9011 (highbeam, replaces 9005) and HIR9012 (low beam, replaces 9006).

Also, to get the most out of any bulb you buy, use a relay harness to make sure the bulbs are getting the most voltage they can.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I would imagine you are getting plenty of light from the HIDs themselves. Probably more than non-HID cars with their brights on. So my suggestion would be to find the color range that matches the closest to what you have and use that. It won't be as bright, but it will match, and look a lot better imho.

2. DON'T TOUCH THE AIR DAM, DAMNIT! It is there for a reason. You WILL overheat without it. If you want to make it look intentional, get a set of decals that say Z28 or CAMARO or something like that. On black cars, you can't even really see it, but on silver, yeah, I know what you mean.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ya the air dam plays a huge role in keeping are cars from over heating, drove mine once without it and didn't make it very far before it started getting hot.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

lower the car you'll, be able to see it less...

but for a more reasonable option. give it a fresh coat of black paint. makes it blend a little better under there and stand out less. made a pretty big difference when i did mine.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
lower the car you'll, be able to see it less...

but for a more reasonable option. give it a fresh coat of black paint. makes it blend a little better under there and stand out less. made a pretty big difference when i did mine.
GOD DAMNIT. Just when I thought I knew every little detail that I needed for the car this summer. Now I'm going to pull that damned thing and paint it!

Quick Reply: Two quick questions