Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Gauges

Im in the process of installing white face gauges on my camaro. Everything was goin smoothly untill it came to puttin the needles back on! I did everything it ask you to do, let the car warm up and then get the reading of all the gauges. My next question is... when puttin everything back together do i put the cluster in and plug it in and let it warm up then put the needles on? Or do i place the needles on before plugging it in where they would go if its warmed up? I was thinking this was gonna be a quick job... but seems like thats never the case!haha Any help would be grateful! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Plug in the gauges, let the car warm up, and then install the needles.

Someone correct me if I am wrong
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, thanks alot! When you put the needles on, how far are you suppose to press them on? The hole way down, or just slightly press them on?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

im doing the same thing right now, if you havent already gotten it all back together, just push the needles down so that they are snug on the pin, but NOT to where it is touching the actual gauge face, because it might be hard for the needle motor to turn it, scratches, etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Plug in the gauges, let the car warm up, and then install the needles.

Someone correct me if I am wrong
Originally Posted by Southernsnow
im doing the same thing right now, if you havent already gotten it all back together, just push the needles down so that they are snug on the pin, but NOT to where it is touching the actual gauge face, because it might be hard for the needle motor to turn it, scratches, etc.
These guys are 100% correct.

Also, when you first put on the needles they will want to "lay" a little lower than you want. Just over compensate a couple of hundred RPM over your target RPM until the needles "lay" where you want them to. Repeat until happy.

(Example: you slide your need on at exactly 1K RPM...after you let go the needle lays down to 800. Just simply pull it off again and place it at 1200 rpm and it will want to lay down to 1K)

Did that make sense?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
These guys are 100% correct.

Also, when you first put on the needles they will want to "lay" a little lower than you want. Just over compensate a couple of hundred RPM over your target RPM until the needles "lay" where you want them to. Repeat until happy.

(Example: you slide your need on at exactly 1K RPM...after you let go the needle lays down to 800. Just simply pull it off again and place it at 1200 rpm and it will want to lay down to 1K)

Did that make sense?
Yea I know what you mean. I was playing around with it the other day but couldnt quite get it right, I will have to give that a try! Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

i installed my white backgrounds without removing the needles.

Point all of the needle up, then you can thread the tips of the needles threw the holes on the background and slid it down the rest of the way into position. after the background is on you can slide in strips of double sided tape with a tooth pick or something similar

Quick Reply: Installing Gauges