Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dash Pad Repair. Custom Dash Pad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Pad Repair. Custom Dash Pad???

Hey guys, I know this is my first thread on here. I have been a member for a little while but never got around to really modding my car yet. I bought my 2001 Trans Am almost 4 years ago. I have only put about 10,000 miles on it since then. I bought it with 77,000 miles and swore I wouldnt put ANY money into it until its paid off and I could go full force on it. So anyways, its paid off, and I started on some minor interior details that were much needed, like my dash pad repair. I had 3 nice cracks going from the front to rear of the dash pad and upon removal it pretty much shattered in a couple of places. Its going to be a lot of work to put it back together but I am about 80% complete with that. But before I wrap it I wanted to know if anyone has tried to remake a dash pad out of sheet metal or something like that then wrap that instead? Either way any input would be great. I just really dont want to put all this time into it, wrap it, and it just shatter on reinstall. Being that I live in southwest florida its ALWAYS hot, so just buying another is a possibility but I will surely run into it cracking soon as well. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you search for the dash pad wrapping thread in this section? There is a multi-page thread that pretty much explains everything you asked.

**EDIT: Found https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...brand-new.html
Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Did you search for the dash pad wrapping thread in this section? There is a multi-page thread that pretty much explains everything you asked.

**EDIT: Found https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...brand-new.html

Yes I did thanks. This is the thread I am using to repair my own. My question though was has anyone MADE their own dash pad. Like out of sheet metal, aluminum, etc. I dont think it would be that hard. I am considering making my own out of sheet metal and wrapping that instead.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would stick with the factory plastic pad.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Well guys I am throwing in the towel on the dash pad repair. I got most of it glued back together and adn then I LIGHTLY picked it up and again it just SHATTERED into pieces. The sections that are very brittle are also distorted. The surface is very bumpy and wavy so I think in the long run it will be easier if I just buy a new one now. Would you guys suggest wrapping the new dash pad, or just wait it out until its inevitable cracking!!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SIKt/a
Well guys I am throwing in the towel on the dash pad repair. I got most of it glued back together and adn then I LIGHTLY picked it up and again it just SHATTERED into pieces. The sections that are very brittle are also distorted. The surface is very bumpy and wavy so I think in the long run it will be easier if I just buy a new one now. Would you guys suggest wrapping the new dash pad, or just wait it out until its inevitable cracking!!
I would for sure wrap the new one, I had a cracked dash pad in my car for 2 years and when I finally found an un-cracked one I installed it and it cracked on its own with in a month. The Vinyl will add strength to it, Just use a good adhesive so it dont get tacky in the Florida sun. I'm kicking myself now for not wrapping my replacement in the first place.

Quick Reply: Dash Pad Repair. Custom Dash Pad???