Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel?

Anyone know what kind of padding or what the steering wheel is made of? I want to make the wheel a bit thicker. I can't get a new one cause of the airbag or I would. Plus it needs to be recovered anyways.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheel isn't big enough as it is you want to make it bigger lol,just messin with ya man ,I know my stock wheel seems way to big and bulkey
Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hah I'm not talking bigger as in diameter but bigger as in thickness where your hands grip the steering wheel.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to try a 02 Grand Am 4cyl steering wheel sometime next month. Its same diameter but the rim is about twice as thick...plus it still has the Pontiac logo in the center
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Living in California changing steering wheels is not an option for me or I would be all over a nice grant or momo wheel.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did this several years w a mustang steering wheel, wish I had pics...

Go to any sporting goods store and get two rolls of the handle wrap for tennis raquets. Wrap the rim w the edges of the wrap slightly overlapping - like you were wrapping a pair of headers
The go to vatozone and get the leather steering wheel wrap
Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry - posting from my phone

Wrap from vatozone - its been a few years but I remember it was a strip of leather that you hooked over the rim and laced the edges together with a thick nylon string. The added thickness of the tennis raquet handle stuff made it difficult to cinch the leather cover on but with some patience, it turned out good and the rim was roughly a half-inch thicker...
Old 12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I did was get a steering wheel cover that was as thick as I needed it or wanted it to be but wasn't all flashy and "Hey look at me". And that way it also protects the steering wheel from breaking down as it would if I didn't have one from gripping the wheel.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is too funny for me; the Camaro guys are saying it is too thick and the firebird guys are saying too thin. It is because they are different steering wheels. I just swapped for the Camaro wheel. It has a markedly better feel. The rim is thicker plus it has the little finger grooves where the Firebird is just thin with no padding. Basically, OP, it is what your are looking for.

Second, there is nothing to worry about with losing the Pontiac arrow when you swap the wheels. You will keep your own airbag and just slide it in keeping the entire square center section. If you want to pick up a Camaro wheel in great condition, and you need the steering wheel controls (Black on the Camaro!!! So much better loooking), expect to pay around $100 on Ebay. I did and the wheel is absolutely beautiful. It really looks like I went to the dealer and got one. It doesn't even have a scratch on the controls. If you don't need the controls, you will pay less for the wheel, but can still get the thicker Camaro wheel. However, the idea of using the tennis handle wrap is damned clever if you want to save the cash.

As far as breaking down, it will happen eventually. I give mine 6-10 years though. Then it is a matter of having it re-skinned and there are companies out there who will do that for about $400 using ANY material you want, including part Alcantara and part leather which is unquestionably what I want!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel?