Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

overbuffed paint repair help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overbuffed paint repair help?

my bird has a big spot on it that looks like someone new to a buffer held it on there a bit too long. not sure whether it's sunbaked or overbuffed, but it is about a foot or so big. might be able to get pics on here if it would help you guys. could i just wet sand it and hope to re-clear coat it in that spot or should i just repaint the whole hood. what i'm worried about on doin the whole thing is matchin up colors. wantin the paint to look sleek to put my burning bird decal on it when the warm weather comes back to WV
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a body man, but my dad and my uncles all are, so iv been around it my whole life. Any time you burn through the clear coat with a buffer you have to re clear the whole body panel if you want it to look right. No need to re-paint just get it re-clear coated.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture would help. Just off the top of my head, I would say you need to "fix" the entire hood. I wouldn't think you would be pleased with a spot fix, if it was possible at all. Just do the whole hood and put your decal on. I know that's easy to say, we are not paying. If it's worth fixing, fix it right. The F-body clear coat is pretty hard, but it can be burned quick with a rotary "parked" on it.

Quick Reply: overbuffed paint repair help?