Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to: 6LE Shift Boot Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: 6LE Shift Boot Install

I ordered a custom shift boot from 6LE about a month ago, and just finally got around to installing it today. It's a matte ebony, smooth/non-textured boot with blue stitching (to match the other blue accents in my interior).

For anybody who doesn't know how to replace the shift boot, here's how:

Stock, 10 year-old boot. It's seen better days.

Nice, brand-new boot!

Start by opening the center console armrest/lid and removing the coin holder. Just pull it upwards, it'll come right out.

You'll see these two 7mm bolts, which hold down the top of the center console. Take them out.

Remove the shift **** by unscrewing it.

Pull the top of the center console up and back a little bit. You'll need to unplug the connector on the cigarette lighter. Now you can completely remove the top of the center console. It helps to tilt it forward towards the dashboard and then lift it up.

This is the underside of the shift boot, still attached to the top of the center console. It's held in by a plastic "ring" with little clips on each side. Just push the clips back and down to remove it.

Here's a close-up of how the clips look when the ring is inside the boot. Just slide the clips out of the holes in the boot, and the ring will come out.

Put the ring in the new boot by lining up the clips with the proper hole in the boot. Just slide the clips through the holes.

Here's the new boot with the ring installed.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reinstall the boot by pushing the clips back into place.

Reinstall the top of the center console, plug in the cigarette lighter, reinstall the 7mm bolts, put in your coin holder, put the shift **** back on, and you're done!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks really good . I love your interior .
Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Looks really good . I love your interior .
Thanks! It's still a work in progress. Next mods are an aftermarket steering wheel and probably 6LE door panels. I'm also trying to figure out a tasteful way to add carbon fiber to the interior.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you looked at Personal steering wheels ? They make a cool 3 spoke in suede with blue stiching . Grinta(330mm) I think is the model Im thing of .

JMO , I would keep it minimum on the CF. Id hate to clutter up the clean look ya got going on. I think 3M di-noc would look pretty good on the radio bezel and door lock/window bezels , and I would prolly call it a day at that. Thats jus me though
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a link
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idcategory=259

Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Have you looked at Personal steering wheels ? They make a cool 3 spoke in suede with blue stiching . Grinta(330mm) I think is the model Im thing of .

JMO , I would keep it minimum on the CF. Id hate to clutter up the clean look ya got going on. I think 3M di-noc would look pretty good on the radio bezel and door lock/window bezels , and I would prolly call it a day at that. Thats jus me though
I just looked up Personal's catalog, I didn't see any wheels with blue stitching. Some had larger blue accents on the wheel, but nothing with just blue stitching. I was actually looking at the Grant 761:

I was thinking about having that re-upholstered in black Alcantara and possibly having the metal part of the spokes wrapped in carbon fiber.

Like I said, I want to do the CF tastefully. I wouldn't use the Di-noc stuff or get anything hydrodipped. It's either real CF or nothing for me.

EDIT: Just saw the link you posted. That steering wheel looks awesome!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the only place I know that will sell the blue stitched suede . Red , yellow and black are typically all thats ever available .
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

seems like it would have been a good idea to clean the upper console before reinstalling it...
maybe that's me.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scj
seems like it would have been a good idea to clean the upper console before reinstalling it...
maybe that's me.
Maybe, but I didn't feel like detailing the car while it's 30 degrees outside. It'll get a thorough cleaning in the spring.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Nice craftsmanship.

Quick Reply: How to: 6LE Shift Boot Install