Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WTF Happened? Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation WTF Happened? Need Help!!!!

Okay, hears the deal. I purchased new fog light bulbs off Ebay for the T/A. They were HID and only ten bucks! Anyway, I get them yesterday in mail, and put them in today, and now when I turn my parking lights on, my headlights come up! Now, keep in mind that my drivers side headlight motor is bad, so I have to crank it up manually. Here is exactly what I did:
- Raised hood
- Realizing its much easier to get to fog lights by raising lights and going in from behind the headlight bucket, I raised up the D/S manually and changed that side fog light
- I flipped the headlight switch to raise the pass side light, and then changed that fog light
- Because I still had the parking lights on so the pass side headlight would stay up, I shut off the parking lights
- when I turned the parking lights back on to check how bright the new bulbs were, the pass side headlight comes up then instead of waiting till I turn it to headlight position

What happened? could it be the new bulbs that caused this? I know for a fact that I did not touch any of the wires to the actual headlights or anything. And now the headlight goes up and down when I lock and unlock the doors! Aughhhh!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Do the headlight motors continue to spin and grind aftter they have gone all the way up or down? If so, then the gears are gone. You can do the 180* mod or replace the gears with brass ones.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Brass gears are near the top of the page.
Scroll down for the 180* mod.

--VIP1
Old 02-16-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As VIP said, if one of the gears or motors are bad for the headlights, even turning on the parking lights will make them come up. My car did this when the gear was stripped. You'll need to replace either the whole motor, or the gear.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the headlight motors do not run after they are down, so I don't believe it is the gears. Now like I said, the D/S headlight has been bad since I got the car six months ago, but the pass side worked finr until I put those new bulbs in the fog lights. I am not real sure what happened to the d/s motor. It doe not run at all. This is such a little thing, but it is driving me crazy, cause I love the way these cars look when you are just cruising around with the parking lights and fog lights on.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with my foglight bulbs from Ebay.. Dealership said the only bad thing about the aftermarket bulbs is that they melt the housing... My first set melted the hell out of the housing.. had to get new housings off ebay for $80. then new bulbs $12. so far so good.... I doubt it was the foglight bulbs that are causing this...
Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my headlight motor went out, my headlight relay also went bad a couple of days later. It would cause my headlights to come up when I turned on my parklights.

Quick Reply: WTF Happened? Need Help!!!!