Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clear coat flaking off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat flaking off

As a result of one too many high pressure car washes, the clearcoat on my hood formed a small, quarter size bubble. This was a few months ago, and now the clearcoat has begun flaking off, revealing about a circle of the base paint about 3in in diameter.
I want to avoid a whole respray of the hood, so does anyone know of something that i can use to 1. prevent the peeling from continuing, and 2. repair the flaked off clear coat.
Im not looking for perfection here, just something that will help make this less noticable.

thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have access to getting some clear coat from a body shop, touch up the spot that is peeling, let it sit for about 5 minutes and touch it up again. do this over an over until the spot you touched up is built up higher than the surrounding area, after it drys wet sand it smooth with some 2000 grit paper, then run a buffer over it. Good news is this should make the spot less notcieable. Bad news is the only way to prevent the peeling is to get it repainted, but this may prevent it for some time, but not quite sure how long. I would reccommend no more car washes

Quick Reply: clear coat flaking off