Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Reupholstering, Hampton Vinyl ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Reupholstering, Hampton Vinyl ?

I have been looking at the many of the seat covers on ebay and sponsors sites and have noticed many are using Hampton Vinyl instead of leather. Anyone have long term experience with the Hampton Vinyl ?
How does it wear ... feel ... look etc. Will it get soft and mooshy in the sun ( I have a convertible)
My stock leather is a bit hard and tearing after many years and the truth is our stock seats are not all leather and not very soft anyway.

I guess I am trying to talk myself into it ... but leary of vynil in general.

Hampton Vinyl guys please give me some reviews.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a set of Hampton vinyl seats for my car a few months before I sold it, so I cant give you the longevity of the vinyl. But I did like the seats overall, its definitely not as soft as real leather though. I'd say go for it if you don't want to pay twice as much for leather.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at a car show last year and ran into a guy that had an '88 Trans Am GTA that had an interior restored with Hampton Vinyl coverings. I was actually quite impressed with the covers. He had the Beechwood colored interior, and it matched the factory color perfectly!

The texture felt really nice too. I have a '92 Trans Am GTA and I've been wanting to redo the interior in it. I stumbled across the Hampton stuff online like a year ago while searching for some coverings that would match the factory Beechwood color. I was hesitant on purchasing simulated leather, thinking that this stuff couldn't be all that great in quality. After seeing and touching that stuff in person, it convinced me to go ahead and purchase some for my car.

Hampton Vinyl doesn't feel thin and cheap either. I think that it'll stand up pretty well over a period of time.

Here's what some of the 3rd Gen guys are saying about Hampton Vinyl:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/in...ed-my-gta.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/in...tima-seat.html

As you can see, these Beechwood colored seats came out great and they're an absolute factory color match! This is the same color that's going into my GTA, BTW.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
My stock leather is a bit hard and tearing after many years and the truth is our stock seats are not all leather and not very soft anyway.
No stock seats are all leather. They only put real leather on the seating surfaces. This is common will all types/brands of automotive seating.

Material has wear ratings. Maybe you should compare that for the hampton.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OEM seats in 4th gen Camaros were leather on the seating portion only, as well as gear shift **** and steering wheel if you had those options. The sides of the seats, back of the seats, and door panels were vinyl.

I'd be hesitant about vinyl too. I just went to the Dallas Auto Show Friday, and sat in a Nissan 370Z and I swear the interior had to be vinyl and it looked sooooo cheap. It looked sticky and felt like a pool float. I didn't take this picture, but if that's a leather covered steering wheel, Nissan successfully made fake looking leather by coating it in something.
http://www.iveho.com/wp-content/uplo...r-interior.jpg

Vinyl always looks slimy to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brangeta
The OEM seats in 4th gen Camaros were leather on the seating portion only, as well as gear shift **** and steering wheel if you had those options. The sides of the seats, back of the seats, and door panels were vinyl.

I'd be hesitant about vinyl too. I just went to the Dallas Auto Show Friday, and sat in a Nissan 370Z and I swear the interior had to be vinyl and it looked sooooo cheap. It looked sticky and felt like a pool float. I didn't take this picture, but if that's a leather covered steering wheel, Nissan successfully made fake looking leather by coating it in something.
http://www.iveho.com/wp-content/uplo...r-interior.jpg

Vinyl always looks slimy to me.
back from the dead only because i can't believe nobody called you out on this?? looks like leather to me bro.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
back from the dead only because i can't believe nobody called you out on this?? looks like leather to me bro.
I honestly can't tell

Quick Reply: Reupholstering, Hampton Vinyl ?