Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!

So I finally got this thing finished! Before I just had a cord hanging out of my console to plug my iPhone into and then find a place to put it. I'd removed the ashtray and ran it thru there and propped my phone up in the hole. So I FINALLY cut up the factory ashtray, removed the ashtray lid and made a dock to hold the cord to plug my phone into. I had to file off the barbs that keep the cord connected to the phone so I can seemlessly push down/pull up the phone! Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!-dsc00835.jpg   iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!-dsc00837.jpg   iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!-dsc00838.jpg   iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!-dsc00840.jpg   iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!-dsc00841.jpg  

Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Awesome work.

how did you make it?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I've thought about doing this but my CD player has both AUX. port and a port for an iPhone/iPod but I lost the cable so I just use the AUX. feature and plug my phone up through the headphone port at the top of the phone itself and set it in the cup holder. But none the less, great work OP.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

SOB! LOL

You beat me to it! Looks Good!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pops!

I cut up the ashtray and made a notch for the corner if the phone (with case) to sit. Then made a cardboard template of the hole in the console and cut a piece of lexan I had to size. I then heated the two corners with a heat gun to get the curve right. I used a Dremel to get the corners and edges perfect. I had a extra console top that I dropped the ashtray back into, positioned the top plastic and then used JB Weld, platic and JB Stick to bond it in place. I made a template of the phone and outlined where it needed to poke thru the top. Cut the hole small and enlarged, shaped and perfected the position with the Dremel. I heated the front side and used a deep well socket to get access to the home button. I drilled a hole in the bottom, fed the cord thru, plugged in and positioned the phone, then used JB Stick and Weld to keep it in place. Then sanded it all smooth, applied a texture paint then black and finally clear.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Cool idea, OP! I thought about that, but I just didn't want to cut anything. Here's the one I made. No cutting needed and it only cost me $6 on ebay and 6LE gave me the block off plate.

Here's the write up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...camaro-bird.html

Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

That looks good Sommer. I just wish the block off plate was more of the same texture as the surrounding components in the area the block off plate was. Still a nice piece none the less.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
That looks good Sommer. I just wish the block off plate was more of the same texture as the surrounding components in the area the block off plate was. Still a nice piece none the less.
Thanks 9Whitecamaro9! Me too, but the good news was the the phone and cradle cover about 90% of the block off plate so you can't really see it. I also flipped the cradle 180* so the power cable is on the right now and you can see even less of the BOP. These pics are also 3 years old, lol.

and sorry for the
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 AM
11 Second Club

Looks great, I need one. I always find myself looking for a place to put my phone as well!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might look into this iSimple thing
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sommer, that sure works but I wanted to set me phone in and be done in a single easy step, no messing with cords. I also HATE the way the iPod shows albums when in landscape. I dont use the ashtray so it's just been sitting in my shop. And from time to time I use that power plug you covered since the other one is dedicated to my radar detector. Sure works for a quick easy fix!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been planning on doing this as well, except I was gonna mold in my extra USB dock I have so it'll sit nicely and look decent when the phone isn't in it.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Squee, I'd do the same, but the cord I have isn't USB on the other end and plugs directly into the box under the dash. A USB hub molded into the console would be great for non-iPhone users or for A/M radios that accept a USB. Since I wanna sell this car eventually I want to keep it mostly stock. That iPod interface can be pulled out easily and my spare ashtray and the door put back on.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Squee, I'd do the same, but the cord I have isn't USB on the other end and plugs directly into the box under the dash. A USB hub molded into the console would be great for non-iPhone users or for A/M radios that accept a USB. Since I wanna sell this car eventually I want to keep it mostly stock. That iPod interface can be pulled out easily and my spare ashtray and the door put back on.
When I say USB, I mean the USB sync cable that comes with your phone. USB on one end, iPhone connector on the other that goes into the dock. Like on yours, you just plug the cable into the back of, then the phone into the dock
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I know what you mean. But I don't plug the cable into the phone then put it in the dock. That dock I built holds the cable in place so I can just drop in my phone and be done. That cable had the retention barbs where you'd have to squeeze the plug to release it. I'd shaved those off so I just push/pull.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Basically you're doing the same thing. Just the difference is that your radio accepts a USB plug. The USA SPEC interface has a proprietary plug where it plugs into the box. So I couldn't use a manufactured dock.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Swiat, if you wanna make another clean mod for the radar detector, make a third power connection. It's SUPER easy. I did it beside the radio on the passenger said but tucked up near the floor.

I run a hidden wire from my Nav under my dash and into that hidden power adapter. It's always plugged in and works off the cars radio power. When the car is started the Nav goes on. When the car is off the radio and nav. stay on. When I open the door with the car off, they both go off.

It's a very clean mod and you wouldn't have to see your radar plugged in...and you'd have an extra outlet for anything or anyone else.

Get an extension socket from any auto parts store, Radio Shack, or Wal-Mart something like this:

This is what i did to install my hidden GPS power switch.

Use Scotchlock connectors to tap the red wire (from the new accessory lighter) into the yellow wire in the black head unit connector (the stereos main wiring harness). Then you can tap the black wire (of the new acc.) to the black wire in the same wiring harness or just run it to a good chassis ground.

That's all there is to it - plug your satellite radio power adapter into the socket, hide it out of sight behind the dash (with Velcro), and you've got a custom installation.

Now, my GPS comes on when I start my car and goes off with the car....The GPS even goes off like the radio, once the door is opened after the car is shut off.

(there are better "accessory plugs" available that don't have the exposed connectors on the back or the unnecessary cover plug - that was the only picture I had and is the one i bought for $7)

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Good idea. I'd have done it by now but Im planning on selling the car. Maybe in the Trans Am once it becomes a driver.

Quick Reply: iPhone dock for my USA SPEC interface!