LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Headlight problem (HID) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1432230-headlight-problem-hid.html)

BOA279 06-08-2011 02:13 PM

Headlight problem (HID)

Car has been down over two years as I did repairs and mods...including those cheapy HID kits from ebay. The setup is four ballasts, four bulbs, two relay harnesses direct to the battery. The problem: Turn lows on...no problem. Turn highs on....highs come on but lows go out. They never have come on together. I cant imagine it has anything to do with the ballasts as they all work at some point just not together...I wouldn't think its because of low power as I'm using a fresh battery and the volt meter is at 13ish. What could be the problem??

UnVMySS 06-08-2011 03:27 PM

Bird or camaro?

BOA279 06-08-2011 03:38 PM

98 Camaro

09camarossls2 06-08-2011 05:01 PM

Am Digging Ure windshield sun protector..!! The Lightning McQueen Eyes.. Were did you buy-it from Bro...?

Rushin 06-08-2011 05:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the headlights function like that anyway? Highs on/lows off? I've never bothered to notice since my low HIDs are bright enough.

Edit: I believe there is a mod you can do under the fusebox to make them come on together. Don't quote me on that though.

SS#502 06-08-2011 06:24 PM

I would think they should come on together, my 97 does this but never noticed on a 98-newer. Is the car running or just off the battery? I wouldn't mess with it if it's not running and wait to see what happens at that point....

SparkyJJO 06-08-2011 07:55 PM

98 or newer that is how it is designed. Lows turn off when highs turn on.

Easy enough to change that however. I changed it on mine because I didn't want the HIDs to turn off when I turned on the halogen highs. That would be pointless :P Plus it is harder on the HIDs, they don't like being turned on and off a lot (which is another reason why HID in the high beam isn't always a good idea, it'll kill 'em faster).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...same-time.html

BOA279 06-09-2011 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think were on the wrong track...the schematic shows both should be on at the same time (highs and lows). Turning on the highs allows the same power available to the lows to go through the switch to turn them on also. I'm leaning more to the current draw required to initially kick on the ballasts for the highs is preventing the low ballasts from keeping the bulbs going. Might have to try disconnecting just one high and see if I can get the lows and one high on. (after the downpour outside stops :) ) If that doesn't work I'm grabbing standard bulbs to see how they operate. hmmmm

BOA279 06-09-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 09camarossls2 (Post 15015623)
Am Digging Ure windshield sun protector..!! The Lightning McQueen Eyes.. Were did you buy-it from Bro...?

lol ^^ The eyes are photochopped along with the mouth. I'd buy a shade like that too if they made one ;)

9WhiteCamaro9 06-09-2011 02:37 PM

I had HID's in mine and i turned my high's on only to check if they still worked which was about once a month but even then my low's went off when I turned my high's on. Still does it even though I swapped out my HID's for stock looking lights since one of my HID's decided to go out.

BoricuaHec01 06-09-2011 03:02 PM

lmfao, I thought they were real windshield sun protectors too :lol:

BOA279 06-09-2011 03:13 PM

now I'm very curious about the flip flopping highs and lows...so many have reported that as normal. I'm going to have to break out the multimeter and do a little detective work. Will report back what I find after a little analysis....

VIP1 06-09-2011 04:29 PM

It is normal for the 1998 - 2002 Camaro.
I think the circuit diagram you have is for a 1998 - 2002 Firebird.

1998 - 2002 Camaro
Low Beam: low beam bulbs only
High Beam: high beam bulbs only

1998 - 2002 Firebird
High Beam: both low & high beam bulbs

9WhiteCamaro9 06-09-2011 05:45 PM

If your using HID's in both high's and low's, I would imagine it would be similar to LED's and that would be causing there to be some currency flowing through even though there off. I may be wrong but if you have or ever have messed with LED's even though they are off to you, if you'll look close enough to em or have them in a completely dark room, you'll notice that there not completely off. They are vaguely light. But like I said, I may be wrong but thats what I was thinking.

SparkyJJO 06-09-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BOA279 (Post 15018993)
I think were on the wrong track...the schematic shows both should be on at the same time (highs and lows). Turning on the highs allows the same power available to the lows to go through the switch to turn them on also. I'm leaning more to the current draw required to initially kick on the ballasts for the highs is preventing the low ballasts from keeping the bulbs going. Might have to try disconnecting just one high and see if I can get the lows and one high on. (after the downpour outside stops :) ) If that doesn't work I'm grabbing standard bulbs to see how they operate. hmmmm

That is the Firebird wiring.

98-02 Camaros have the low beams turn off when highs come on. That is how they are from the factory. But as shown in the link I gave, it is extremely easy to make the lows stay on when you hit the highs.

Bulb type will have no effect on whether the lows stay on or not with the highs.

Originally Posted by BOA279 (Post 15019542)
now I'm very curious about the flip flopping highs and lows...so many have reported that as normal. I'm going to have to break out the multimeter and do a little detective work. Will report back what I find after a little analysis....

That's because it IS normal ;)

BOA279 06-10-2011 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO (Post 15020773)
That is the Firebird wiring.

98-02 Camaros have the low beams turn off when highs come on. That is how they are from the factory. But as shown in the link I gave, it is extremely easy to make the lows stay on when you hit the highs.

Bulb type will have no effect on whether the lows stay on or not with the highs.

That's because it IS normal ;)

This is funny...I'll have to get a better scan as it seems the dealer manual I have has the schematics backwards :) lol The one I posted is labled as chevrolet and the other one that clearly shows the flip flop is labeled as pontiac. ^^ Ohh well, thats why I'm confused I guess :)

hookngo 06-10-2011 04:46 AM

I was told thats the way they work

TheSilverOne 06-10-2011 08:35 AM

whats the confusion?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15019850-post13.html

Originally Posted by VIP1 (Post 15019850)
It is normal for the 1998 - 2002 Camaro.
I think the circuit diagram you have is for a 1998 - 2002 Firebird.

1998 - 2002 Camaro
High Beam: high beam bulbs only

1998 - 2002 Firebird
High Beam: both low & high beam bulbs

BOA279 06-10-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne (Post 15022408)

the confusion was because the 2nd edition service manual Im looking at is wrong...pg 8-21 is labeled "Headlights DRL Schematics (Domestic) (cell 102: Headlamps (Chevrolet))" but its apparantly the bird diagram. The bird diagram on 8-23 is actually the camaro one. ^^ Their backwards