Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

30th Anniversary T/A stripes: HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30th Anniversary T/A stripes: HELP

After a few months of deciding on a final scheme, I broke down and ordered a set of Silver Metallic 30th Anniversary style stripes from 4thCircleDesigns. I have an arctic white T/A and think they'll give a subtle compliment to the paint. I really dig the way the white 35th SS looks (attachment).

Now I've read every thread I could find on how to apply vinyl (even resorted to some "how to" youtube videos), but I still have a few questions. Not all of the write-ups are consistent with the procedure.

I'm clear on the first part of the application procedure: soap solution, heat, squeegee, etc.

But do you let the stripes dry completely with the paper on them, and THEN peel them off...or peel the paper while it's still semi-wet and then let them dry?

How long should I let the car sit/dry before driving it? Hours/days?

Do the stripes on the original 30th wrap over/underneath the edge of the hood closest to the windshield?

Also, does anyone have placement measurements from an original 30th car?

Any help/advice y'all have would be MUCH appreciated. I don't know if Shawn sends application instructions with the kit, so I'm just wanting to make sure I know as much as possible before I set to work on it.

If it matters: I live in Texas. Summer temps right now are mid 70s to mid 90s.

Thanks, all.
Attached Thumbnails 30th Anniversary T/A stripes: HELP-3857p1010065.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

pull the backing paper off..u need to see if there are bubbles or not. It's easy man...honestly at first I tried being perfect and everything but later on I just sprayed the car with soap/water peeled the entire vinyl off the paper, while spraying it to ensure no dust clings to it, and just plopped it on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...stripes-t.html

took me probably a total of 6-8 hours for the whole car
Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've put on several stripes/decals in my day.

Tips:

Apply them indoors only and in cool temps.

Always keep the decal wet until you're quadruple sure you have each stripe exactly the way you like before it drys. It helps if you make some sort of hard template like a ruler or cardboard cut to the width you want. Use a reference point and measure the amount of width or space you want to separate each stripe. Mark several points with a grease pen or non permanent marker to help you lay out the stripes.

I remove the top paper when it starts drying out. A hair dryer can help dry it.
When you start removing the paper take it real slow and peel it back and never pull it off at an angle. Never force it let the top paper slowly glide off. Always peel back the paper onto itself and never pull them off at a 45 or 90 degree angle. That helps prevents some of those decals that come to a point "V" from lifting off and being stuck to the paper rather than the car.

Last edited by gm02ceta; 06-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the tips, guys. It's reassuring to know I can probably do this myself, rather than having to pay another $100 to have some shop slap them on there.

I thought I remembered some thread stating that you should let it sit for a few days drying time. WTF? Do I really need to let it sit (cure?) for that long before being able to drive it?

Still holding out for some measurements if anyone's got 'em. Thanks for everything so far! Keep 'em comin'.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Bump to keep checking for measurements.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope. just use ur eye like everyone else. you get no cheat codes
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Hahahahaha, fair enough. Thanks for the help, fellas. I'll post pics up when it's done. Cheers.

Quick Reply: 30th Anniversary T/A stripes: HELP