Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is it the black color or the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Is it the black color or the paint?

I can't seem to keep a finish on my wife's black G8. I've used Zaino, Liquid Glass, and good ol' Meguiar's Yellow #26. A few weeks to a couple of months and the paint is dry as a bone again. The Meguiar's probably lasted the longest. When it started getting a little thin, I freshened it with some spray wax, but after a couple of weeks, it was dry.

In contrast, two coats of Zaino on my DD silver Formula lasts 6+ months. What gives? Is it the black color or the paint quality?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are alot of factors that may contribute to it. was it raining recently? more sun exposure? you would have this problem if you switched to adams polishes. cheaper than zaino and a hell of a lot better resluts and much easier to use.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I can't seem to keep a finish on my wife's black G8. I've used Zaino, Liquid Glass, and good ol' Meguiar's Yellow #26. A few weeks to a couple of months and the paint is dry as a bone again. The Meguiar's probably lasted the longest. When it started getting a little thin, I freshened it with some spray wax, but after a couple of weeks, it was dry.

In contrast, two coats of Zaino on my DD silver Formula lasts 6+ months. What gives? Is it the black color or the paint quality?
If the Meguiars out-lasted the Zaino, something is definitely off...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, I'm really trying to ask something simple. Is it typical for polishes, waxes, etc. on black cars to not last as long because of greater heat absorption?

Her car sits outside all day in a parking lot and it has been hot as hell here. But so does mine. Water still beads up on my Zaino finish from last November. I've done hers at least twice since then and when I washed it yesterday, it was dry as a bone.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Well, I'm really trying to ask something simple. Is it typical for polishes, waxes, etc. on black cars to not last as long because of greater heat absorption?

Her car sits outside all day in a parking lot and it has been hot as hell here. But so does mine. Water still beads up on my Zaino finish from last November. I've done hers at least twice since then and when I washed it yesterday, it was dry as a bone.
Heat is a factor in the deterioration of the protectant, but not a large contributor, and the slight temp increase of black over other colors likely wouldn't make a measurable difference.

Quick Reply: Is it the black color or the paint?