Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Engine bay cleaning!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay cleaning!

Before: the first 2 shots is nothing done except a STB and the volant air intake.

2nd pic just shows the wires better

After: Removed AC, Wire mod, Air!, Egr!, Lid, p&p TB, painted STB, filled in holes, moved all grounds except one so far

what do you think? the strut towers and bracing all around will be getting stripped and painted, as well as the ls6 inake getting a silver flake paint job. any other suggestions??

Last edited by ripgtp97; 08-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

polish the exterior of the MAF and relocate the radiator support grounds to underneath the airbox, and then have the radiator support cleaned up and painted at the same time as the shock towers. Paint the valve covers black and the coil packs silver when the shock towers and radiator support are being done. If there is any rust in the engine bay, replace the bolts and/or fix it.

Oh, and paint the lower airbox bolts black too.

and check out SummitRacing.com for some alternative air filter re-oiling colors if you don't want the standard K&N Red.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget about the valve covers, they could use a paint job, home depot bellows, mobile1 oil cap, relocate battery?, new belts/hoses, paint tb,

those are jus some ideas
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

thanks for the heads up on stuff, the throttle body is polished, lower airbox is painted, i've heard good and bad things about battery reloc. im thinking of doing the fuse box relocation, winter project, i can't seem to find a good bellow at home depot that fits but i'll keep looking

what radiator supports are you talking about? if its where those 2 ground wires are attached, then I had planned on painting that already

and would engine enamel be good for the valve covers?? those will be gloss black I'm thinking, and my ls6 intake will become a silver metallic flake
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
thanks for the heads up on stuff, the throttle body is polished, lower airbox is painted, i've heard good and bad things about battery reloc. im thinking of doing the fuse box relocation, winter project, i can't seem to find a good bellow at home depot that fits but i'll keep looking

what radiator supports are you talking about? if its where those 2 ground wires are attached, then I had planned on painting that already

and would engine enamel be good for the valve covers?? those will be gloss black I'm thinking, and my ls6 intake will become a silver metallic flake
Yup. I'm talking about the aluminum MAF ends, and the bolts holding the lower airbox to the radiator core support (the big metal thing that the airbox bolts to).

Engine enamel black & engine enamel clear is what I used for my valve covers. The engine enamel rattlecan paint is formulated to be heat/chemical resistant so leaks won't take the paint off easily. Once you paint the intake silver, the coil packs would look good in the same color.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

haha love the lamen terms ;]

sounds good though
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripgtp97

You will hear mixed on relocating the battery, its purpose is to redistribute the weight of the battery to the rear tires, suppose to get better handling and better traction. I relocated mine with no issues, however if you relocate it and plan to use it on the track u need a killswitch, nhra rules.

IMO if u do the valve covers, i'd keep the entire setup a uniform color but thats jus my personal preference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaning!