Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Door panel problem (not cracking)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel problem (not cracking)

It's been this way since I bought the car but I can't take it anymore! The speaker housing thing in my door panel is separated from the panel itself (someone forced them back to change the speakers), I've tried to snap it back in but it only stuck that way on one side, the other is too loose to hold it in place.

My question is, do you think i can take off the panel and rig up something to get the speaker housing to stay in place?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Here's what I did....

I reupholstered my doors, but to do this, you have to remove the panels from the cardboard backing. I did the best I could to reattach everything, but had problems like you are describing.

If you look at the back of the panel, you'll see the little plastic tab extend through the cardboard backing. Hopefully, there's enough to: take a brad (tiny finish nail), holding it in a needle-nosed pliers, and heat it up. Now, press the pod to get the plastic tab to extend to where you can see it. Now, use the brad to poke a small hole in the plastic. Do it quickly, as you don't want to melt the tab off, just make a nice round hole. Finally, take a fresh (cold) brad and slide it through the hole. It will hold the tab in place and stop the part from pulling off the panel. Use hot glue to lock everything in place and keep the brad from walking out.

I had to do this to nearly every tab, as the glue failed to hold. :-)
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

The cardboard piece that the tabs snap into is broken at that one little spot
Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you thought about using crazy glue or CA something like that the permanently attach the speaker cover to the panel. I haven't looked at them closely because I never have taken mine off but I'd think you could just glue it to the face of the panel, but it'd never really come off again.
Jess
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Have you thought about using crazy glue or CA something like that the permanently attach the speaker cover to the panel. I haven't looked at them closely because I never have taken mine off but I'd think you could just glue it to the face of the panel, but it'd never really come off again.
Jess
I actually just tried that a couple of hours ago. lol when I put the panel back on it just popped it off again, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get some more door panels.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

OK well when super glue doesn't work try fiberglass and resin...I mean why not? If you're starting to think of spending for whole new panels I'd try something more drastic on the ones you've got.

Quick Reply: Door panel problem (not cracking)