Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior led problem need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior led problem need some help

So I ordered some LEDs from superbrightleds and they came in yesterday the all turned out great except the passenger led that lights up the window switch. The driver side one puts out a lot of light but for some reason the passenger on isn't gettin light through it Barely. If I twist the bulb around I can get more light out of it but when you twist the socket into its locked in position it goes dim again. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common problem, and it has to do with how the wave guide is shaped on that particular piece. The wave guide was designed for a bulb that puts out light in all directions...when you change the bulb to an LED, the light become very directional, and the waveguide on that side doesn't do a good job of getting that light where it needs to be.

How I fixed it on my old Camaro: I modified a #74 LED by cutting the end off of it and pulling out the guts. I replaced the end of it with a 360* LED from superbrightleds (they use a phosphorescent coating to disperse the light), and ran the two wire leads out of the bottom where they were on the assembly before mutilating it and bent them back on themselves. I then installed a resistor on one of the two wires leading to the bulb (I didn't have enough room in the #74 housing to fit the resistors I had).

Now, that only worked for me because I wanted them to be white, and I think white is the only color they offer in the 360* beam pattern LEDs. Otherwise, you'll have to modify the trim piece so that the LED can fire straight down (that's what others have done).
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow man thanks for the very informative reply. Wasn't excepting anything. I appreciate it lol
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i found a pretty easy solution that i liked. some people not might wanna but hey it worked perfect.

i just had to trim off where the socket plugs in on both ends. then the led (that i had an extra of for some reason) worked perfectly other than the one that shot straight up.

Ps interior is getting redone don't mind the door lol

Quick Reply: Interior led problem need some help