Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Lowering Springs, Ran into a problem..need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Lowering Springs, Ran into a problem..need some help

K, so i got the back springs on just fine (eibach sportlines)..so now i have the entire assembly out in the front...My issue is the top nut holding the cup to the spring..connecting to the shock..is apparently welded on (not literally..but it might as well be) anyone else run into this problem? I cannot for the life of me..figure out how to get this bolt off without just cutting the shock..
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol. GOOD LUCK. Mine were fused to the shock. I had to use an air hammer. It still ruined the shock. The other one I got the nut off but then the shock mount was fused to the shock. I had to get two new shocks in the end. If you're lucky and have access to an impact gun and some pb blaster you might be able to.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

lol, not the answer i was hoping for but some how knew i was going to get , ok so get some new shocks..But we still have the problem of needing new boots/cups to go on top of the shocks.. anyone know of a place i can get replacement oem shocks for a camaro...I really didnt plan on replacing the rear ones..and would rather keep the shocks stock..
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They sell the shock towers at autozone and oreilleys. Nearly impossible to get the nut off, however sometimes you can cut the shock in half and save the tower by hammering the **** out of the nut orncuttingnit off

FYI I would order the bmr koni package for $700 and sell the springs you are trying to put on now. Bmr is basically giving away their lowering springs until the end of may
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Going with stock shocks you will regret it. Especially with sportlines. I have the prokit on my car and until last weekend had factory shocks. Just put bilstiens on and whatva difference it made. I'd get a set if I was you
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was rusted on and I took my dremel and cut the nut off.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine were so rusted we cut the rod on the shock in half. Ruined the shock but I was swapping it out with coilovers so I wasn't worried.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
They sell the shock towers at autozone and oreilleys. Nearly impossible to get the nut off, however sometimes you can cut the shock in half and save the tower by hammering the **** out of the nut orncuttingnit off

FYI I would order the bmr koni package for $700 and sell the springs you are trying to put on now. Bmr is basically giving away their lowering springs until the end of may
This a million times over. On the other note, I wouldn't run stock style shocks with Sportlines if you don't have the funds to get the setup posted above. Believe me, I've ran Eibachs for about 3-4 years now and wish every day I had found the Strano's first before blowing my money on these crappy Eibachs I got.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Ok so im leaning towards the bmr koni set up, you said 700? Where can i find this package? I am still waiting on upper and lower control arms, a magnaflow cat back system and a bushing package from texas speed (ive had no problems with them before and all of a sudden its taking them 3 weeks to get me my ****..really annoying) I pulled the other shock off today and found the same issue..So yes by all means i will be replacing the shocks as well (i have a set of KYB adjustable gas shocks i am about to order until i just read the BMR Koni post)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Yea, so i came to a conclusion here..lol The Koni BMR set up is 735..Ive spent 239.00 for the eibachs (1.5-1.7 i believe) And the KYB shocks are 427.00 (also need new strut mounts, strut cushions, and shock cushions which total up to about 200.00 bucks) so in other words..if i return/ebay the eibachs for 200.00..and not spend the 427 on the kyb's..id basically be spending an extra 100 bucks for a set of BMR springs and Koni shocks (obv the better product) Man i love this site..i just need to learn to wait for responses before i say **** it and buy **** on impulse
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Teching In

The only difference here is that the BMR's are a 1.25" drop..and im not really sure i want to stay that high..
Just contacted Summit Racing and am returning the springs tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your input and the heads up on the koni/BMR deal..Really appreciate the effort

Last edited by OpiumCrypt; 05-22-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OpiumCrypt
The only difference here is that the BMR's are a 1.25" drop..and im not really sure i want to stay that high..
Just contacted Summit Racing and am returning the springs tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your input and the heads up on the koni/BMR deal..Really appreciate the effort
Sometimes you will be suprised at how much a 1.25" drop can be. My car has Strano's and sits pretty low. Example:

Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dr Tran
Sometimes you will be suprised at how much a 1.25" drop can be. My car has Strano's and sits pretty low. Example:

Oh wow, ok yeah thats about the height im looking for. I honestly think anything lower looks a little..well not my taste. That and I have long tubes which makes for an issue when going to low. Thanks for the pic
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a warning my car seems to sit lower then most other peoples for some reason. Also that is a killer deal on the Strano/BMR setup. I wisht that was going on when I bought all my stuff.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Cut the shock shaft to get it apart. I've gotta replace my Eiback/Bilstein setup and I'm just gonna order new upper mounts and A-Arms.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Mine were fused also so we cut the shocks in half with a torch lol! Damn thing flew about 15 ft, but I do not advise this way lol. We ended up cutting the nut off with a dremel also. Oh and FYI Strano's ride height on F-bodies are perfect. Trust me I thought I would want to go lower also but the ride height is just perfection.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lisle makes a special tool for removing the nut. Otherwise, use an impact gun, or an air chisel. Ive used an air chisel carefully and was able to salvage the shock. Make sure you put a spring compressor on the coil so it doesnt come flying off when you remove the nut.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Lisle makes a special tool for removing the nut. Otherwise, use an impact gun, or an air chisel. Ive used an air chisel carefully and was able to salvage the shock. Make sure you put a spring compressor on the coil so it doesnt come flying off when you remove the nut.
Thanks for the heads up Oh and incredible camaro by the way, Very impressive mph on the standing mile!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Op just look in the stance thread,everyother car has stranos/bmr springs it will give ya a better idea on what the drop will be, personally i love the look of the eibachs,but i cant stand the ride
Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I use a torch with a small tip and heat the nut,then use a 1/2" air gun to remove the nut.

Quick Reply: Installing Lowering Springs, Ran into a problem..need some help