Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Roger(emblempros) or anybody else...

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Roger(emblempros) or anybody else...

Hello,

I bought a Black Onyx OEM style "WS6" badge and I need to replace the adhesive. When I placed the emblem in the exact spot of my original badge, the emblem had a really tough time following the curvature. When placing it on my car I applied pressure to the whole emblem, mainly the top right, for about 20 minutes and the top right still flipped up.

So I think I'm going to finally slide it over 1/2" or so, but where can I buy some new adhesive tape. What is the best way to trim the tape to match my emblem? Also, this time I would like to tape the emblem down over night to give it a good amount of time for the adhesive to cure, what kind of tape am I looking for the hold this in place?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With some of these metal peices "depending on where you are going to place them" they may need to be slightly bent. This should be done prior to trying to adhere them on. Then they will not try to peel up. I Personally email very detailed instructions about this with every part we send out.
1) Prebend it until it follows the shape you want. This removes all spring tension from the metal.
2) Clean the surface very well. Soap is not a cleaner. Use alcohol as the final wipe.
3) LASTLY remove the tape liner, and adhere the piece to the car. The reason this is done last is to prevent tape contamination.
4) Do not get the car wet or wash this area for a day. This comes right from 3M not from me. I know this is not always done.

I am not aware if anyone else who sells the tape we use. A 3M rep came right to our place of business. He showed and proved to us which tape is the best to use for clearcoat, and that is what we sell. You do not have a tape problem.
So, I can sell you some more tape "laser cut" to fit the peice. Please let me know. Shape the piece before removing the liner, make sure the surface is clean, and you will not have any issues.
We have placed hundreds of emblems following these same instructions without one ever failing.
Please let me know if you would like some tape shaped to fit.

Thanks, Roger

Last edited by dragonZ28; 05-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't wrapping this emblem around a freaking golf ball so I didn't think pre-forming was needed to get this to stick on a slight curve. I'll look around here for an adhesive
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carl,

Like I said: we have placed many emblems in that location. The curve increases on that part of the car the farther you go to the outside.
Other peices that need some bending are:
WS6 badges.
LOTB badges, depending on where they are placed
All ZR1 style pieces that go on the back.
We also make emblems for other cars that require some if this as well.

Not real sure why you seem upset with me, I am trying to help you out, and I did send you the instructions to read.
You asked for me by name in your thread, so I responded to you.
If you want some of the tape we use, please let me know. If not, then that's ok.
This tape works for many hundreds of orders a month, and it will work for you too. Your car cannot be different than the others
I just re-sent you the installation instructions again to your personal email, with my phone number if you need it.
Follow the installation instructions, you will have no issues.

Thanks, Roger

Last edited by dragonZ28; 05-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im having an iissue to i lost the puinsher emblem you gave me awhile back, it must have blew of from faulty tape lol, ( to everyone else this is a joke and i was never given anything )
Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have same problem with my z/28 emblems on my fenders... the day after i put them on the top of the / just barely came off, can push it back on but comes back off, my fault on installation.. should have thought about it before installing but was to excited at the time and just wanted them on..lol just curious what is the price on some pre cut tape... its a 69 z/28 emblems normal size thanks for your time ... you guys have an A+ in my book

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roger(emblempros) or anybody else...