Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ok help me out here.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ok help me out here.....

Took the car to a show and most that walked by and looked at it were like Meh even though I have over 550hp under the hood..... I don't have enough Wow factor. I would like to put some different valve covers or powdercoat the ones I have on now. Paint the coils red or put the aluminum covers on them. Battery cover maybe, and maybe a set of fuel rails. Need your guys opinions. The heads are ETP 215 and they were on when I bought the car. Are these the stock valve covers? I read that the ETP's were center bolt but these look like the stock valve covers. Opinions on blinging up the engine bay needed.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that look, clean as hell imo.
But think about the people at the car show, Red/Green/ crazy *** bright colors will jump out at them sadly, and the explosion of those colors just look gay.

Maybe go a 2 tone job, red/black or yellow/black. Don't go to crazy just add small detail here and there (SLP lettering / battery / intake / ect)
my 2c
Old 08-19-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the wire mod to clean it up under there a little bit. If you don't use the A/C that much, ditch it also. Take and get some custom pieces from sponsors on here to cover stuff up but to also add looks to the engine bay really.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good to me. Much rather see a clean bay than gaudy with all those mirrors and ****. As said, wire mod and then maybe clean up coil packs like some have before.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice engine bay man!
Do something interesting with your lid/base. I painted mine myself and even though my car is not that interesting people love to talk about the lid and look under the hood.

Either that or have a big *** turbo sticking out... that will always get attention!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that is extremely clean!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. It's hard to keep it that way but it's worth it. Anyway, are those stock valve covers or not? I want to get a set of the Holley Krinkle black valve covers, nicer coil bracket, and get the aluminum coil covers but I think I have to get a new set of coils if correct (bolt spacing).I think that would look good. And maybe paint the air intakes gloss black with no emblem or decal and a battery cover. Also, no go on the wire mod. They don't bother me at all.

Here is the car at the show....
Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a stocker with a FAST.....

Hide wires, eliminate fuel line "foil", lose that between green light, red light battery... paint the intake, polish a few things (maybe start the with AC accum), move the TCS, whistler mod, etc...

Other than that, car looks great!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

i say get a battery cover and paint or cover the brake fluid and windshield wash fluid reservoirs. simple and effective
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

People love shiny things, so if your just looking for attention maybe relocate the coils and get a set of polished valve covers. maybe a clear lid. you just need something interesting to look at to grab their attention
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wires may not bother you, but they may bother others. Do the wire mod. Relocate the TCS. Relocate the coils too. It'll clean up the motor pretty well. It does look pretty clean. And yes, those are the stock valve covers.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it looks clean, but very stock-like. And no, you don't have to make it look gaudy, colorful, or shiny to look nice. If you want to get noticed more, listen to these guys.

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Looks like a stocker with a FAST.....

Hide wires, eliminate fuel line "foil", lose that between green light, red light battery... paint the intake, polish a few things (maybe start the with AC accum), move the TCS, whistler mod, etc...

Other than that, car looks great!
Originally Posted by BadBirdie
i say get a battery cover and paint or cover the brake fluid and windshield wash fluid reservoirs. simple and effective
Originally Posted by zbugger
The wires may not bother you, but they may bother others. Do the wire mod. Relocate the TCS. Relocate the coils too. It'll clean up the motor pretty well. It does look pretty clean. And yes, those are the stock valve covers.

pretty much everything under the hood that came black, could probably use a good polishing, or repainting, or powdercoating: all of those brackets/supports at the front of the engine bay, the air filter box, the SLP lid, the paint on the fender wells/strut towers, the strut tower brace, the hood struts, the power steering reservoir, TCS... they all typically have a "dry" or faded/boring/bland appearance. same goes for the non-black things: AC accum, windshield washer fluid bottle, back portion of headlights, etc. Polish these things, or paint/powdercoat black. Oh, and paint the yellow dip-stick top while you're at it, and also the pink/red AUX cover by the fuse boxes, and for most cars the "trans-lock" top as well, its always faded red/pink looking, I repainted all of those red, but will look good in several colors (black silver, etc). These little things are what really add up to make a huge difference.

get some fuel rail covers, a battery cover, maybe a brake fluid reservoir cover, pcm cover, perhaps some new caps, or even just cap covers: http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/1249/598 I havent done the wiremod, but I need to, it definitely takes away from the look of the engine bay. perhaps do something with the FAST?

the stock look is good for a showroom, or a for-sale ad, but it wont get you any looks at a show... unless its an all-original classic you're showing off.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 08-20-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's also "just an F body". Heard that plenty of times. Pisses me off but what can you do? My truck got a lot more attention at shows and cruise nights than my nearly mint Z28 ever will.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In addition to what everybody said, people at car shows like things that are shiny looking and clean. Clean gloss paint and polished/chromed parts are what grab attention. In addition, I recommend relocating the electrical grounds away from the shock towers. Easy and very cheap, if not free.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I like your car very much! It is very clean inside and out.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

What I did for car shows is type a paper and stick it on the dash with the year of my car, the miles, horsepower rating, and a list of the most important mods I have done to the car. This will cause people to stop and learn more about your car.
Also as said above polished parts from Emblempros or Yofab will help your car get noticed, especially in the sunlight.

Quick Reply: Ok help me out here.....