Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

superNON-SPONSOR.com question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a quick question on which version I should get for the main gauge cluster. Superbrightleds has both the WLED-x5 and WLED-xHP5. Should I get one over the other? I suppose the HP is theoretically brighter or has a better light spread? Are there any dead/dim spots with the regular WLED-x5? If anyone is using the regular WLED-x5 did you sand the tips of the LEDs to spread the light better?
Also does the NEOx-xHP light up all of the headlight switch or is it too small to spread to the top icons?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by zfastss; 09-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
To do the whole interior should be somewhere around $75 plus shipping.
Thanks alot man, one last question lol. How long did the whole process take??
Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I bought new bulbs for my gauge displays from them. No problems and it shipped super fast
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zfastss
I have a quick question on which version I should get for the main gauge cluster. Superbrightleds has both the WLED-x5 and WLED-xHP5. Should I get one over the other? I suppose the HP is theoretically brighter or has a better light spread? Are there any dead/dim spots with the regular WLED-x5? If anyone is using the regular WLED-x5 did you sand the tips of the LEDs to spread the light better?
Also does the NEOx-xHP light up all of the headlight switch or is it too small to spread to the top icons?

Thanks for the input!
The non-HP LEDs work fine for the gauge cluster. As far as dim spots go, there is one dim spot but it's only the numbers for kph on the speedometer. IIRC the stock bulbs left that area dim as well. I didn't sand the tips of any of the LEDs. The headlight switch also is a little dim in one spot but again, it's just like how the stock light was too.

Originally Posted by 01BlueSS1995
Thanks alot man, one last question lol. How long did the whole process take??
Shouldn't take too long. To do the whole thing from start to finish maybe a couple hours. Taking the gauge cluster out if you've never done it before can be tricky. Now that I know how to do it I can take it out in a few minutes.

One thing worth mentioning is some of the little 74 bulbs like in the HVAC are going to shatter when you try to pull them out. No big deal, it actually makes it easier to pull them out, because the "guts" of the bulb are easier to grab onto with a pair of needlenose. You might want to figure out a way to contain the bits of glass so you don't end up with them everywhere.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Zfastss- sorry I didn't get back to you before. I used WLED-xHP in the cool blue color for my gauges, no hot spots. 74-xHP3 for the hvac controls in the same color.

Last edited by stealth355tpi; 09-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
Zfastss- sorry I didn't get back to you before. I used WLED-xHP in the cool blue color for my gauges, no hot spots. 74-xHP3 for the hvac controls in the same color.
no problem...thanks for the input!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which one works best for the reverse lights??? One I got didn't fit right
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

I recently swapped all my interior lights with LEDs, I can make a list of what I have...

74-xHP3 for light above door switches (need 2)
74-xHP3 for HVAC lights (need 2)
74-xHP3 for center console light (need 1)
NEOx-xHP 3mm for headlight switch (need 1)
WLED-x5 for lights in rear view mirror (need 2)
WLED-x5 for glove box light (need 1)
WLED-x5 for gauge cluster back lighting (need 5)
WLED-x5 for gauge cluster turn signals (need 2, green)
WLED-x5 for gauge cluster high beam indicator (need 1, blue)

The only bulb that is going to give you trouble is the light above the back seats. It's a festoon bulb but there doesn't seem to be a good direct replacement. I bought a rigid loop festoon bulb with 9 high power LEDs, but the loops don't fit, and if they did the bulb would only point towards the back of the car. I actually managed to wedge it in there so that it stays put and it looks decent... but I might buy the 4210-xHP12 and see if it works any better.
i was looking for this
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
i was looking for this
It's possible your bird has different lights in the rear view mirror, they may be festoons instead of regular old 194s, I'm not sure.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

I believe they have the same rear view mirror. My ashtray light never worked in either of my f bodies.

I swapped my dash and now my hvac lights wont come on.. Need to track down that problem asap!!!

And also does anyone know the license plate light p/n?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
And also does anyone know the license plate light p/n?
194, you need one and something with a wide veiwing angle would be better.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the license plate light I've tried a number of different 194 LEDs and none of them fit in the housing. Your best bet will be to get an LED strip and tape it inside the bumper. VLEDS even makes an adapter that lets you install an LED strip without splicing into your wiring.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

For the license plate light I've tried a number of different 194 LEDs and none of them fit in the housing. Your best bet will be to get an LED strip and tape it inside the bumper. VLEDS even makes an adapter that lets you install an LED strip without splicing into your wiring.

a single element LED worked great for me.....any other size does not fit
Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
a single element LED worked great for me.....any other size does not fit

Yea I mean I'm using this one https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ase-tower/910/ it works but its just a little to long so it doesn't seal all the way? So I just put tape around it so it doesn't fall out. Working so far haha
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Yea I mean I'm using this one https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ase-tower/910/ it works but its just a little to long so it doesn't seal all the way? So I just put tape around it so it doesn't fall out. Working so far haha
I did the same thing, but when the weather got cold the tape let go. I went with an LED strip and I like it better, it lights up the plate much better and I never have to worry about it falling out.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/203/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...d-festoon/244/

Can someone verify these are the correct ones for an 02 map/dome lights please..

Also...

Coupon Code: Ret71
5% off purchase
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/203/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...d-festoon/244/

Can someone verify these are the correct ones for an 02 map/dome lights please..

Also...

Coupon Code: Ret71
5% off purchase
If your TA has the same map lights as my Camaro then the correct bulb is either of these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/199/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/206/

^ The second one may be slightly brighter.

That festoon will work for the dome but it is not a direct fit. I have it in my Camaro and you have to sort of wedge it between the two prongs. It looks like it'll surely fall out but it hasn't yet, so I don't think it will.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your TA has the same map lights as my Camaro then the correct bulb is this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/199/

That festoon will work for the dome but it is not a direct fit. I have it in my Camaro and you have to sort of wedge it between the two prongs. It looks like it'll surely fall out but it hasn't yet, so I don't think it will.
The 194/921 are the same physically... The difference is the wattage, the 921 is the correct wattage while the 194 are lower.

If that isn't the correct bulb for the rear dome I'm going to be pretty pissed off. EVERY thread kept saying rigid festoon led bulb (4410 style)... That is what that is. However, the 212-2 part number did not show a rigid style it showed the "capped" style ends.

Everything contradicted itself so I just chose those. If those threads are wrong people need to go back and fix their information. I don't give out information especially PN#s unless I am 10000% positive it is exactly what will work... And with something this I would let it be know I am talking about exactly what year and make/model/trim package I was discussing, every time I posted it.
Sorry for the rant, just annoying.
At least I know it can work.. Should be here in a couple days and I'll let you guys know.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

I got about 100 dollars in LEDs from them
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought this Sylvania 6K LED at Autozone ($9). I sanded down the top and cleaned it up with some 2000 grit. I then put a small amount of silicone on the socket and it slid right in (thats what she said).

Quick Reply: superNON-SPONSOR.com question