Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tinting scratched windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting scratched windows

Hey guys, I've been going crazy because I want to tint my side windows, but they have the infamous worn out window guide scratches on them. Anyone have any experience with how they look with tint behind it? The scratches are pretty bad on the drivers side, but the passenger is not too bad. Some people say they will hide the scratches but I'm not buying it. I really think it will make it stand out more. I plan on replacing the guides before I tint them so it wont get any worse or rip the tint.

On a side note, if anyone has any scratch free windows for sale pm me
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the worst that can happen? if you don't like it, it's an easy removal.

My drivers side guides broke a while ago, scratching up the window and the tint I had on. luckily the glass didnt scratch too bad. So I replaced the guides and got the windows all retinted (the scratch is not visible unless you want to find it, and even then, barely at all)........ After all of that hassle with the drivers side, and getting new tint, my ******* passenger side guides have now broken as well, and have ruined teh tint I just put on a few months back. I'll be covering it with tint again, hoping it works out the same as the drivers side.

BUT, for my windshield, I got exactly what you're talking about! As soon as the tint was done (35%) all of those little chips I've gotten over the years became much more obvious, almost like a bunch of little white paint spots. I never noticed any of these before the tint (i knew they were there, but they were never noticeable without looking for them) so in that case, the tint did make them stand out more. Don't get me wrong, it still looks great, and as we all know, we notice things on our own cars that NO ONE else will notice.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Yeah, maybe I should just do it and deal with it. I dont think any car that gets driven as much as it should will ever be perfect to me....sadly. Just enjoy it, flaws and all.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Sorry so late but the tint will expose the scratches even more unfortunately! My 93 has quite a few heavy scratches on both windows and the tinting made it look a bit worse, especially at certain angles with the sun exposed. I just purchased two perfect glass units for my Camaro awhile back and waiting til I order all new guides and motors to make certain the install ends and operates well.

Quick Reply: Tinting scratched windows