Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Redline auto shift boot - how to install this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redline auto shift boot - how to install this thing?

I tried to install this today and see no possible way to make it work. Those of you who have installed one of these, if you could explain the process I would appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to cut slits in it yourself for the retaining clips. If you look at the stock boot, you'll have an idea of where they need to be.

EDIT: Sorry, that's for an M6, just realized you're talking about an A4.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I tossed mine in the trash and had a new one made that fits properly. I think they have it templated for a M6.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Mine fits fine. You cut it at the ends and fold it over I used hot glue to hold it. I have a tbss shifter and folded the material in on itself and used a rubber band to hold it on the shifter.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You put it through the hole from the bottom and I used duct tape around the edges to keep it secured. The first one they sent me was far too large and wouldn't enable the shifter to move. I sent them the correct measurements and now they have tossed out their old design and sell the revised one. Maybe some pictures would help us understand your difficulty. It's a very straight forward install, so I am a little confused as to how you are unable to install it... Please elaborate...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

you did unsecrew the platic thing right, the thing that surrounds the shifter as you move it through the gears? (don't know what to call it). once that piece is unscrewed from the bottom and removed, it shouldn't be too hard to install your boot. I picked up a boot from a older Grand Prix and that fit perfect, and was an easy install, I'm assuming the redline setup is pretty similar.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send it back and get one from a later model Grand Am, Impala, or Monte Carlo - theyre a direct fit for our consoles

Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Send it back and get one from a later model Grand Am, Impala, or Monte Carlo - theyre a direct fit for our consoles
yep, my mistake. Mine wasn't from a Grand prix, meant Grand Am (years 99-05). picked it up for $12 bucks on ebay! matches the dark grey T/A interior perfectly.

since I know I'll get PM's about it, the seller who I got mine from has more for sell (both black and grey), though the price has been raised a bit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2005-Po...item337140bb2c After a simple cleaning/wipe down, mine looks brand new.

Oh, and to get back to the question. How far did you get? Just to be clear here, you need to:
1) remove the shifter. you have to pull out the metal pin in the back which holds it in place. needle nose pliers work nice. (easiest with shifter in 1st or 2nd)
2) open the console lid, remove the coin tray, it pulls directly up. you won't break it, but it takes some force
3) unscrew the 2 7mm bolts holding the console top in place.
4) put your shifter in like 1st or 2nd, and lift the console top out. once you have it at like a 45 degree angle, you'll want to disconnect the light bulb for the shifter indicator light. Then pull the top all the way off
5) unscrew the plastic plate things that surround the shifter, should be 4 screws from what I recall.
6) place the new boot in through the hole
7) reverse through the steps.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Redline auto shift boot - how to install this thing?