Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headliner repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Headliner repair

So my headliner is starting to show its age and has a few rips, so I was thinking of fixing it. I want to take it out and try to put some new fabric on it. Has anyone tried this before? It doesn't seem to difficult to do.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted it and didn't turn out great because when I pulled the old fabric off, the headliner just started falling apart. Didn't take my time putting new fabric on and well yea, I have to redo it. I got myself a headliner board from a junkyard and will attempt again soon. Just remember to leave extra to wrap over the edges. Can always cut more off. Part of the mistake I made. Jo Ann fabrics carries headliner material and its cheap. Think it was 30 bucks for the material and like 10 for the spray adhesive.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how a leather/leatherette headliner would hold up and look...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very easy to do. Here's a decent write-up:
http://www.camarozone.com/recovering-headliner-t-top/
Originally Posted by UnVMySS
I wonder how a leather/leatherette headliner would hold up and look...
I wrapped my headliner in vinyl that matches my ebony interior perfect (color and grain pattern). Problem is here in TX the heat gets to it. Causes the 3M headliner glue to melt and ultimately cause the material to sag. The adhesive is still tacky though so I can run my hand across it and it'll stick/hold again but on during the summer, it's sagging every time I leave the car parked. It doesn't help that the vinyl is heavier than traditional headliner material.
I need to find an industrial strength type adhesive. I've already redone the headliner twice, but the heat is just too much for it. I've been dragging my feet about it and just driving around without a headliner for the past year. lol.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the link I read through it and its not hard at all. I would have never thought to start gluing the headliner from the middle. I think I'm just gunna go with fabric and not vinyl even tho I'm in ct and we don't get heat like in Texas.

Quick Reply: Headliner repair