Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HID Question

So I got my DDM tuning HID fogs and low beams today. I ordered them with te harness and looking over it, it seems I don't need this harness is the correct? I thought I needed it to install but the directions from DDM doesn't say anything about the harness so I assume I don't need them? Any input?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

typically NO you don't need the "extra" harness (the one that draws power directly from the battery) that is ONLY for cars that have the HID "flicker" issue, and if you ask me the "flicker issue" is more about the quality of the HID ballast itself then the power running to it.

basically you have "stock" 9006 low beams in a camaro so you order a 9006 HID kit, it comes with a pair of bulbs, a pair of ballast and a pair of (what on 9006) "extension wires" these wires plug directly into the stock headlight wiring and run to the input on the HID ballast (this is where it's important to get your positive and negative right, if your HID's don't work odds are this is backward) then from the ballast are the 2 wires with what are called AMP connections (they are keyed so you can't hook them up wrong) that plug to the HID bulbs and thats it takes all of 15 minutes to do. then repeat for fog lights
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The harness with the relay will help apply steady power to the ballasts though and help aid in longer life.

With my fogs and DDM tuning 35 W ballasts... I had to make a harness and relay. I had one light always be intermittent.

I think the harness is a safer way to go but not always needed. If you have it... I'd say use it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright thanks for the help guys. How would I run the harness for the fogs though? Seems like a pita with those grounds.

Quick Reply: HID Question