Headlight Options Wistler mod or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballzee
haha.. noob!!
Noob? Come on man, here for help not jokes jk

Interesting Whistler mod story I suppose, I wanna come up with a mod and name it now
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TxOutlawZ28
I decided after all of your guys input that I am going to give it a shot after I have an extra set of headlights and fresh cleans lenses I posted previous.
My questions is where to tape off at, I can see more or less where but I cant find that masking tape that curves anywhere, anyone know where I can find this tape (striping tape or masking tape that curve)

redz2898 what are you talking about wesley snipes?
I Dont think youll find any "curved tape", you just tape off the entire back bezel, it looks sort of like a cup cake paper, youll see what im talking about when you take it apart. As for taping off around curves all you do it rip a bunch of 1/2 inch or smaller pieces of tape and make your way around the corners and smooth as possible. the smaller the pieces of tape the smoother the curve will be. Trust me it takes a while but if you take your time itll work. for the middle i cut a piece of printer paper smaller than the bezel its self to help so i didnt have to tape off the entire bezel. Here in this picture you can see my tapeline after i painted and before i pulled it off.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an LT1 guy I have to ask, do all LS1 Camaro headlights fit like ****? Seems like I always see gaps between the gasket and the bumper.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided after all of your guys input that I am going to give it a shot after I have an extra set of headlights and fresh cleans lenses I posted previous.
My questions is where to tape off at, I can see more or less where but I cant find that masking tape that curves anywhere, anyone know where I can find this tape (striping tape or masking tape that curve)
Just use blue painters tape and rip it in small pieces and work it around the curves with a lot of patience. I think it took me about an hour to tape mine up. Also don't press the tape down too hard; it could peel the reflective surface underneath off with the tape.

One more tip, make sure you get the silicon melted all the way. The plastic gets brittle and will chip if you try and pry the lights apart with force. Once you get them hot enough, they'll come apart pretty easy. It's really not that hard a mod at all if you just take your time. Don't be intimidated.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
As an LT1 guy I have to ask, do all LS1 Camaro headlights fit like ****? Seems like I always see gaps between the gasket and the bumper.
In my experience, yes. But having owned a 96 too, I can say it beats the old sealed beams that would get moisture inside and look like crap.

A pic of mine for inspiration and further proof that whistlers are badass:
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

So last night I masked it all off and took my time getting it the best I possibly could masking, I sprayed a few coats and it looked great. This mornings I was excited they looked great as I went to pull off take the silver or "chrome came off the headlight with the tape.
I'm pretty bummed about it, I used blue painters tape didnt think Od have a problem as I've used it so many times.

So now what should I do, paint entire thing black? Try and find a chrome paint and paint centers? (usually chrome paint does not look good and it will look like a mess)

Anyone got any ideas?

Luckily I still have the stock ones that I cleaned and they look good, wistler just looks badass but I don't wanna mess up another pair
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody around here figured out a solution to that. I can't remember exactly what they used, but they were able to fix the mirror bit.

How much came off? If it wasn't much, it shouldn't have a ton of effect on light output. It'll just look ugly.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like time for new headlights. No spray you can do at home will be as reflective as the original chrome.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Noob? Come on man, here for help not jokes jk

Interesting Whistler mod story I suppose, I wanna come up with a mod and name it now
sorry man... LOL

Quick Reply: Headlight Options Wistler mod or not