Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My VHT'd Tails Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My VHT'd Tails Question

Well I did my tails a good 9 months ago. They came put alright, maybe a little darker than planned. But I have a problem

When I did them I started in the afternoon. When I did it my car couldn't fit in the garage so I just took the tails off outside and brought th in the garage. Did them on a wooden work bench. Well night time comes and it's about to start raining so I had to rush them back on so that the taillight wiring would be ok. They weren't fully dry, still pretty soft to the touch. Dirt and other things ended up getting embeded in them, and they have no shine what so ever, and some VHT I guess got inside of the tails and came out and rolled onto my bumper which I couldn't see until morning. I'm also afraid I used to much clear coat on them. About 4-5 applications of clear, and about 7 applications of the VHT. LOL

Anyways, my question is can I SAMs and buff and give them that glossy shine that most VHT'd tails have or are they done for?

Ill post pics later when I get off work. Give me your opinions and tell me how much you used on your tails
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

VHT will never have a high gloss shine you will have to add clear coat to get the high gloss shine. Since they have dirt debris in them I would either strip them back down and re do them, or if it's not much debris you could wet sand them with 1500 and 2000 and possibly get the stuff out then clear the lights. Buy a can of Spraymax 2K clear coat. It's exspensive but it has a hardener built in and is the same stuff body shops spray out of their guns.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

I used it on lights and some wheels I painted a few years back! Good stuff!

You can use gas to strip the VHT off instead of sanding for hours. Been there done that and it's no fun at all. Hope this helps.

Last edited by DwDrummer; 03-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Mine came out pretty glossy...i believe i did four or five coats...not too heavy though...here is a pic!
Attached Thumbnails My VHT'd Tails Question-20130101_164923.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help y'all. Yea I did apply clear (probably too much). Probably not as good as the brand you posted.

And deez, that's the finish I'm looking for. Mine look more dull and polluted. Ill have to post pics tomorrow morning. Mine probably only reflect 10% as much as yours. How many coats of clear coat did you go with?

The main problem is that there is a good amount of debris and overall rough texture in the clear. Could a sand and buff fix that? Ill post pics tomorrow so y'all can have a better opinion. Also, could the type and amount of clear coat have an effect of the look of the tails? I went pretty heavy with it without really thinking.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek's 99 Z
VHT will never have a high gloss shine
I disagree there. We sprayed my roommates Silverado tails with 2 heavy smooth coats and they came out extremely glossy. They looked perfect so we didn't even clear them.

I cleared mine when I did them (same style Silverado tails) and they didn't seem to look as nice.

Seems the VHT is all about how you spray it. Nice and smooth and a little heavy but not heavy enough it runs has worked best for us.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I disagree there. We sprayed my roommates Silverado tails with 2 heavy smooth coats and they came out extremely glossy. They looked perfect so we didn't even clear them.

I cleared mine when I did them (same style Silverado tails) and they didn't seem to look as nice.

Seems the VHT is all about how you spray it. Nice and smooth and a little heavy but not heavy enough it runs has worked best for us.
agreed. when i sprayed my corner lamps, they came out nice and shiny .
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Thanks for the help y'all. Yea I did apply clear (probably too much). Probably not as good as the brand you posted.

And deez, that's the finish I'm looking for. Mine look more dull and polluted. Ill have to post pics tomorrow morning. Mine probably only reflect 10% as much as yours. How many coats of clear coat did you go with?

The main problem is that there is a good amount of debris and overall rough texture in the clear. Could a sand and buff fix that? Ill post pics tomorrow so y'all can have a better opinion. Also, could the type and amount of clear coat have an effect of the look of the tails? I went pretty heavy with it without really thinking.
I didn't use any clear just vht...I sprayed a couple light coats then a heavy one and that's the final product

Quick Reply: My VHT'd Tails Question