Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Footwell Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Footwell Lighting

I recently picked up a 4th gen Camaro I picked up and noticed something in the interior I was hoping someone may have some insight on.

I swapped out the factory radio with a new one (it had a cassette and I don't even own a cassette so I plugged in the CD version) and noticed when I removed the trim panel it had 2 switches at the top. One is for the fog lights which it has, but the other one is just a dummy blank even though it has wiring up to it for the ASR.

What I was thinking was picking up another OEM fog light switch and wiring up some footwell lights. Has anyone ever done this and can the fog light switch be wired to use to turn them on/off? I don't want to use if I can an aftermarket switch for this blank would be the perfect place. TIA!

-robert.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you could wire the footwell lights into the existing dome lights.

But yes, you can use another fog switch for that. I used a second fog switch for some add-on stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Or you could wire the footwell lights into the existing dome lights.
x2 Unless you want to drive around with them on or something
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by toslow5o
x2 Unless you want to drive around with them on or something
I wouldn't drive around with foot well lights on, the PO of my brothers Prelude had neon tubes under the dash for footwell lights that came on with the lights (along with those stupid glowing pedals) and we had to pull them out because it made it to hard to see out the windshield at night.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a cheap set of two 12" LED strips from Wal Mart. Wired them into 12V switched with a switch on them as well. That way the switch for the LED's doesnt get power unless the car is on.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. Ill pickup a switch off eBay and wire the lights to the switch so I can turn the lights on when needed. I agree not having them on when driving for that would be annoying so the switch will be work good. Just wasn't sure it could be done but it shouldn't be too hard.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I bought a cheap set of two 12" LED strips from Wal Mart. Wired them into 12V switched with a switch on them as well. That way the switch for the LED's doesnt get power unless the car is on.

Quick Reply: Footwell Lighting