Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID help!

I own a 98 z28, and I'm wanting to install a 35 watt 6k HID kit in my low beam for now. I've been doing research, and there is now DC and AC ballasts. The AC ballasts makes the most sense seeing as it is alternating circuit to reduce flicker. Just curious to see if anyone has done this.. also i don't know if I should purchase a relay harness. I've heard some people use them and some don't. I understand I have to reverse polarity on the leads. But if someone could answer these questions I'd be grateful. Theres a lot of HID information on this site. But still haven't found any clear way in doing this.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DC kits are cheap piles of crap and will typically need a relay harness, they are also SIGNIFICANTLY DIMMER.

GET AC BALLAST, you probably won't need a relay harness but it couldn't hurt to have it, the harness really is more for if you go with a 50-55 watt ballast.

See this video, it's pretty damn accurate.

I had one of the "cheap" full size (like the JLM labeled one in the video) and it flickered but I just got the one in the attached picture from amazon and I don't see any flicker in it.
Attached Thumbnails HID help!-img_20130414_243242_275.jpg  

Quick Reply: HID help!