Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel questions?

hey guys new here joined about a week or 2 ago

and im wanting to change my steering wheel to this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-457

it says suggestion parts on the right. do i need both?? and will they fit in my firebird also??

help will be appreciated guys
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, welcome! You did not say what year your car is, but if it is equipped with an airbag I used a Grant steering wheel for mine. They do not make adapters for newer model cars with air bags. What I did was found the last year model Grant adapter for GM, and use it to mount mine. It worked fine, but the only thing is you have to get a dremel and trim back the plastic on the steering column. Do not do too much at one time, I shaved a little then test fitted till I got the steering wheel to meet the adapter without it rubbing on the column. If you take your time you will not be able to tell it was trimmed after its installed. As for the air bag light that will show up after you take the factory steering wheel out, some people live with it. I tucked the wires back into the steering column, and disabled the light inside the gauge cluster. "I am not suggesting this", but that's what I did. If you do a search I believe there is an ohm sensor that you can splice into the wire somehow to make the computer think that the factory steering wheel is still there to eliminate the light from coming on. I'm sure Summit should have the same type adapter.

Here is mine.

steering wheel questions?-img_0076.jpg

Quick Reply: steering wheel questions?