Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Plastic Dipping Sail Panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just FYI the bubbles will come back through. Good thing at least you didn't spend money to repaint the panel as that would have been a big waste of money. Only option is to replace.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasti-dip seems to do the best when sprayed from one of those power sprayers. The spraycans don't seem to lay down as well.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cthulu
So, bubbly sail panel on my Trans Am. Looks like crap, but I don't want to spend 200$ painting or replace it which gets even more expensive.

Tape it off, evenly apply four coats of plastic dip (two cans) for 16$. Done. I like the way it turned out.

Best part is, if you don't like it just peel it off.
Sand prep and paint and you got it!!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I plasti Dipped my rocker panels and a thin strip around the bottom of my black ta and also did my sail panel also (but I actually replaced mine with a 96). The trick to plasti dip to keep those hideous lines you have out of it is to paint it in the evening or in the dark when its really cool out like 50-60 degrees. It says right on can dont use in sunlight. Your problem was that it was drying faster than you could lay it. Mine turned out great and all I used was on think coat. As you lay you keep spraying till you get it real smooth no texture. It is really hard to make plasti dip run. It also took me one can to lay a thick black strip across my sail panel.

I attached a picture with my rocker panels done. Car was a bit dirty I will try and get you a newer picture. I redid the sail panel after this picture because I didn't like the lines thats when I learned to lay it in the cold, slow and a thick coat.
Attached Thumbnails Plastic Dipping Sail Panel-img_20130428_173605_754.jpg  

Quick Reply: Plastic Dipping Sail Panel