Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Regular Waxing v. Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Regular Waxing v. Car Cover

I just picked up an 02 SS which is going to be my new daily driver. It is going to spend most of its life outside under a tree (at least there will be some shade, but then there is sap...) in the hot Florida son. I have been reading past threads and there seems to be a lot of criticism that using a car cover outside will do damage to the paint if the car is not washed every time before covering. Obviously, this is not feasible.

Essentially, my question is what protection is more efficient and will cause the least amount of damage to the paint? A good quality outside car cover that is put on everyday after use or very regular waxing? Also if the car is kept in a parking garage while at work, would that have any impact on your opinion? This car has great paint and I am trying to keep it that way. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough decisions, I faced that same decision with my car and it's daily driven and sits in an apartment complex now in the sun , It use to be garaged but lately I find myself trying to keep up with the waxing and washing, hard to do though. I have still refrained from buying a car cover as I have heard also that it will do more harm than good.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I also DD my WS6 and keep it under a tree. At first I just tried washing it often, but that didn't really work. Don't know about trees in Florida but here in Washington a bunch of crap besides sap falls from a tree; bird ****, leaves, little sticks that get stuck between panels, bird ****, dead bugs, pinecones and more bird ****. What I eventually did was buy one of those instant garages to keep my car in.

Not as good as an indoor garage but keeps it clean and dry
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I also DD my WS6 and keep it under a tree. At first I just tried washing it often, but that didn't really work. Don't know about trees in Florida but here in Washington a bunch of crap besides sap falls from a tree; bird ****, leaves, little sticks that get stuck between panels, bird ****, dead bugs, pinecones and more bird ****. What I eventually did was buy one of those instant garages to keep my car in.

Not as good as an indoor garage but keeps it clean and dry
I would love to do that but I don't have enough space. How much does one of those run, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

if you live anywhere that gets good wind car covers are a waste of time and will probably cause damage to the paint, my brother had a cover on his 79' TA and a "wind storm" hit and the cover was basically ripped off the car. they're really not worth the hassle, as for the instant garage, it depends on the quality and brand but a quick Amazon search shows anywhere from about 250 to 3,500 depending on features and quality.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into opti-coat, it is a coating you put on your car that will protect it for life.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
I just picked up an 02 SS which is going to be my new daily driver. It is going to spend most of its life outside under a tree (at least there will be some shade, but then there is sap...) in the hot Florida son. I have been reading past threads and there seems to be a lot of criticism that using a car cover outside will do damage to the paint if the car is not washed every time before covering. Obviously, this is not feasible.

Essentially, my question is what protection is more efficient and will cause the least amount of damage to the paint? A good quality outside car cover that is put on everyday after use or very regular waxing? Also if the car is kept in a parking garage while at work, would that have any impact on your opinion? This car has great paint and I am trying to keep it that way. Thanks.
If you cover your car after driving it and not washing it you are asking for swirls and scratches. The only time you really want to cover your car is right after you wash it, when its perfectly clean. No dirt, dust, ect to scratch the paint when the cover touches it.
If you trully cannot part under some kind of covering, and you really want extra protection then I would opti-coat it (after a full, real detail) like said above.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would love to do that but I don't have enough space. How much does one of those run, if you don't mind my asking?
I got mine for about $500 but you can find them for as low as $200.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Opti-Coat looks interesting, I may go that route. Are there any downfalls?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Opti-Coat looks interesting, I may go that route. Are there any downfalls?
nope, it is very very proven in the detail field
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Using a wax or a sealant is ALWAYS going to be safer that hassling with a cover. I'd aim you toward our Quick Sealant. Super easy to use aerosol sealant, gives you a nice added level of shine to your paint, and will last 6+ months even in the nastiest of environments.

As mentioned, using a cover is asking for trouble. It's virtually impossible to put on or remove a cover without inducing some amount of swirling/scratching. And then there's the dreaded wind event that will turn the cover into a bunch of tiny razor blades that will do it's damnedest to buzz through your clear coat over and over and over again while the wind is blowing. Not good. Do. Not. Want.

Covers are good for long term storage, but not worth the trouble for daily/occasional use.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Count of Monte Crlo (like that name), I lived in FL for over 30 years before moving to NC. Your car is going to be destroyed in time under a tree or in the hot sun, especially during the brutal summer months. Not only the paint but the interior too. A car cover, even the $300+ variety could be somewhat helpful but those summer torrential rains just takes it toll on everything! You also have the issue of where to store the cover when driving the car. What if a bird craps on it or there is sap? Where do you put it? Do you put it back on your car after a long day at work? It's not easy.
My old '96 Formula (I bought it new) was kept in the garage all the time except for 8 hours at work 5 days a week in the sun. The Formula lasted real well for many years (5 years before we moved) but the upkeep was intensive. Waxing every month and applying Armorall for the dash regularly made it possible (by the way, ignore the internet myths about Armorall. It works!). It took that effort for just a lousy 40 hours per week! I don't think the Formula would have done well vice versa which would be your situation. I don't know what to tell you unless you can put in a tremendous amount of effort. That's would I would do if I moved back to FL with no garage possibility. I have no problem spending hours on my cars. Buy a buffer to make it easier on yourself. Strong winds in those summer T-storms will play havoc with covers of any sort as well, never mind tree damage. I would not park under a tree. Best of luck with everything!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

I would definitely just wax the car and wash it. Covers will scratch it bad if it's outside all the time and not in a garage.

Just keep the girl clean
Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by muttstang
I would definitely just wax the car and wash it. Covers will scratch it bad if it's outside all the time and not in a garage.

Just keep the girl clean
this^^^, I use a cover, but only after its totally clean and in the garage and im not gona drive it for a week or something, and in winter. I wouldn't use a cover outside, constant wind moving it around=swirls
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we get more info on your sealants im in a similar situation, my car is outside all day everyday and it sucks!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My best advice would be to Opti-coat it. It is a permanent coating, so given that, get the paint to point where your happy with it.That should definately start with a claybar regardless of anything else you do or dont do, beyond that its up to you what your happy with as far as paint condition. Compound or polish if you feel its necessary. Then thouroughly wipe down with IPA, then opti coat it. For maintenance, be sure to hand wash the car once a week. It is possible to add swirls with the opti coat on, so invest in a good microfiber wash mitt, a couple 5 gallon buckets with grit guards, a good car wash shampoo, a foam gun that attaches to your hose, and few large waffle weave drying towels. With the right stuff, you can wash your car weekly without adding any swirls or marring at all. Tree sap doesnt bond with your paint the moment it touches it, so staying on top of it washing it should wash off. In the event you cannot wash the car due to time or whatever, keep a good quality clean microfiber and a detail spray around and just hit the top parts of the car where sap would fall onto. I am generally against the quick detail sprays in between car washes, but with extra care, I would do that to keep sap off if I had to go longer than I wanted to washing.

Everyone has their opinions on the cover and mine is that they are for long term indoor storage. No way in hell would I put a cover on my car daily after driving it. You have quite extreme conditions, but its completely manageable with some above average effort.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate covers. It helps in a way but in the other hand it messes up your paint.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I used a car cover on my GTO last summer (at the time I only had garage access during winter storage months) and it sucked. It was a pain in the rear and the car got dusty as crap if I didnt drive it everyday. Thank god I have a full time garage for the beast anymore...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

To protect the interior I would tint the windows and use a sun shade. I also agree that a cover is more of a hassle than a help.

Quick Reply: Regular Waxing v. Car Cover