Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

4 Years Later: Green Dragon's Body is DONE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I also agree with keeping them grey (or gray) lol. They look great, almost like a caddy engine bay. Nicely done. I'm very very impressed.
I forget which it is every time I have to use that word lol. Ya win some ya lose some!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts

That engine bay is slick! is it sheetmetal work?

Im still in love with the fender vents, glad to see this car is still around
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I am for sure repainting them since I got some fisheyes in the paint. I think the glossy finish detracts from them "center piece" so I am really leaning toward a flat clear.

Sorry I left the details out, they are made from 1/16" aluminum sheet. I spent MANY hours making templates from poster board, then transferring those to the aluminum sheet and cutting them out. I hand bent the two side ones and used a friends break for the front closeout panel. Once they were all bent I had a friend weld up the cut seams, then I went to work grinding, and smoothing with body filler. They have taken a long time to get done, but that is not new with this car.

FYI, I finally have it running (with major help from Ben Charles on the tune). It is nasty, and I really haven't gotten on it too hard yet.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the fogs still the same?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
Thanks guys. I am for sure repainting them since I got some fisheyes in the paint. I think the glossy finish detracts from them "center piece" so I am really leaning toward a flat clear.

Sorry I left the details out, they are made from 1/16" aluminum sheet. I spent MANY hours making templates from poster board, then transferring those to the aluminum sheet and cutting them out. I hand bent the two side ones and used a friends break for the front closeout panel. Once they were all bent I had a friend weld up the cut seams, then I went to work grinding, and smoothing with body filler. They have taken a long time to get done, but that is not new with this car.

FYI, I finally have it running (with major help from Ben Charles on the tune). It is nasty, and I really haven't gotten on it too hard yet.

Thanks for sharing, its something I have been considering doing with mine. The battery is in the trunk, and my fuse panels are relocated. My coils are mounted in place of those 2 items and it would be nice to do a sheet metal cover to fill the gap a bit. So its nice to see it done on a fbody.

I think a satin or flat would look really good in the bay as well, but I do like the contrast you get of the greay (yeah did that) fender panels next to your green fenders. It grabs your attention for sure.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool, I actually like the front just not a fan of the two tone. Definitely a one of a kind.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty frigging perfect as is! Same color matte (like you said) could look cool...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Are the fogs still the same?
Nope, they are Hella fog light modules to match the headlights. With custom 3D printed bezels to match the headlight module bezels (I modeled them in Solid Edge then had them 3D printed, it saved a ton of time versus hand building them).
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Thanks for sharing, its something I have been considering doing with mine. The battery is in the trunk, and my fuse panels are relocated. My coils are mounted in place of those 2 items and it would be nice to do a sheet metal cover to fill the gap a bit. So its nice to see it done on a fbody.

I think a satin or flat would look really good in the bay as well, but I do like the contrast you get of the greay (yeah did that) fender panels next to your green fenders. It grabs your attention for sure.
If you do it, the power steering reservoir is the closest part to the hood and hardest to work around. I am still trying to make sure that I have clearance from where the covers touch it and the hood strut mount bolt heads.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the color, the scheme, the matching wheels and even the front end,,,,,, except the light setup.No matter the opinions its still an awesome car!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish someone would make those engine panels for the fourth gens. You can get them for the first and second gens. It cleans up the engine bay a lot, I really like it.

I'm surprised no one has asked if you can make more of them.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^reminds me I need to buy one for my 1978
Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Teching In

alot of work, everything looks good,those wheels are very nice it all works for me very tasteful.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I wish someone would make those engine panels for the fourth gens. You can get them for the first and second gens. It cleans up the engine bay a lot, I really like it.

I'm surprised no one has asked if you can make more of them.
I wish my car wasn't so custom, I would consider trying to make more. But since nothing on my car is the same as any other 4th gen it would end very badly if I tried to guess how it would fit anything other than my TA. It's the same with my rear cantilever setup, I would consider making more but there is just too much changed on my car to know how to design it to fit 99% of other 4th gens.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

That rear cantilever set up is awesome! Clearly it weights more than stock but how does it perform compaired to stock?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeenZ28
That rear cantilever set up is awesome! Clearly it weights more than stock but how does it perform compaired to stock?
Thanks, it definitely is heavier than stock but has some other benefits
-less unsprung mass
-much easier to adjust
-adds some rigidity to the frame
-and most of all looks damn cool and seeing the suspension work while driving is cool too

I haven't pushed the car hard enough to know if it handles any better.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

... i know i'm late to this ballgame here, but HOLY **** !!!!!!!!!! ... that bitch is nasty !!!!! ... it's so in your face, i love it, only thing i'd change is black out the areas around the headlights and the ram air entrance areas too, and maybe the foglight/nose area, but damn it that is a bad **** right there ...

Quick Reply: 4 Years Later: Green Dragon's Body is DONE