Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-13-2016, 02:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

washing engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing engine bay?

I really need to clean and detail my engine bay in my '99 camaro ss. My question is when to do it. When the engine is cool or warm. Does the engine have to be running or off. And what to look out for while washing it. I'm super paranoia about it so I figured I asked first.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the way I do it:
I spray Simple Green in the areas im going to clean and use a brush to scrub everything down, and then spray off with a garden hose. It always worked great for me. Make sure you really get the simple green off with water though. I don't spray a ton of water either. I go by section. For example, ill start from one side of the engine bay and work my way around until im done... I always do it when the car is cold (off). I don't think it matters though. Some people cover their alternators with a plastic bag. I never did. Once you're done let the car sit for a while or run an air hose through all your electrical. But i would just let it sit..

After all said and done, just take the time to wipe it down once a week really good. It will never get dirty if you maintain it that way
trust me

Attached Thumbnails washing engine bay?-ls1-n2o.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Engine bay looks great!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was paranoid at first too haha. After lots of reading, what I do is get some of Gunk's engine degreaser, and LIBERALLY spray the block area down. Intake/coil packs, exhaust manifold area, get it in there. After about 10 min, get a brush or some steel wool and scrub down some of the worse spots. Let it sit another 10 then thoroughly rinse it down. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT ALL OFF OF THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. This stuff if flammable and you don't want any of it left on hot surfaces. Borrow your neighbors leaf blower and dry it off as best you can. I didn't cover anything and had no issues, but use common sense when doing this; don't spray your hose directly on the fuse box, PCM, alternator. Start the car and let it dry itself off, some steam will come from motor but it's probably just water evaporating. If it's still coming 6 or 7 min after your car is on, odds are there's still some degreaser stuck somewhere, shut off the car, wait for it to cool and rinse some more.

After its all dry, get some simple green and a rag, start cleaning until your OCD tells you to stop
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I was paranoid at first too haha. After lots of reading, what I do is get some of Gunk's engine degreaser, and LIBERALLY spray the block area down. Intake/coil packs, exhaust manifold area, get it in there. After about 10 min, get a brush or some steel wool and scrub down some of the worse spots. Let it sit another 10 then thoroughly rinse it down. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT ALL OFF OF THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. This stuff if flammable and you don't want any of it left on hot surfaces. Borrow your neighbors leaf blower and dry it off as best you can. I didn't cover anything and had no issues, but use common sense when doing this; don't spray your hose directly on the fuse box, PCM, alternator. Start the car and let it dry itself off, some steam will come from motor but it's probably just water evaporating. If it's still coming 6 or 7 min after your car is on, odds are there's still some degreaser stuck somewhere, shut off the car, wait for it to cool and rinse some more.

After its all dry, get some simple green and a rag, start cleaning until your OCD tells you to stop
Good advice with the leaf blower, I use that trick as well. I've never had a problem spraying down the engine bays on LS1 cars.

Now on LT1 cars with the finicky opti distributor, I'd make sure that thing was covered in two plastic bags and masked off with some duct tape. Taping it with masking/painters tape is a dumb idea, that stuff loses adheasion when its wet.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I use GUNK too. A whole $3.00 at Walmart. If your engine is really bad then you might need something stronger. Engine must be off and cool.
Just did my SS the other day even though it didn't really need it. Upcoming Super Chevy show at Bristol next Sunday. Getting it really nice!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

same here, i used to get so nervous when cleaning it but not anymore. generally just dont use excessive water pressure. and just like everyone said. care around the lid specially if you use K&N that would reactivate the oil. I like to let mine sit for an hour or so to let everything drain then i let it warm up for a good 10 mins. I remember my friend who had an LT1 got his distributor wet and car would start for 3 days lol but that isnt an issue with LS1's. goodluck!

Quick Reply: washing engine bay?