Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RS ground effects removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RS ground effects removal

A little while ago I started a thread about my ground effects issues. My car is a 2001 SS and it has the factory RS kit minus the spoiler for obvious reasons. They weren't terrible when I bought it but are starting to get bad enough to irk me whenever I look at the car. The paint is cracking and flaking off on the front and rear passenger bumpers. Also, where the fronts of the side skirts wrap around and are exposed in the wheel wells, the paint is literally just disappearing one tiny little fleck at a time until the bottom grey plastic is showing. Overall the person who painted and prepped them did a horrible job.

I would really like to remove them altogether, because the car looks cleaner to me without them. But I saw some threads on here that advise against it due to cost of plugging holes and repainting. And on the other hand these stupid things will eventually need repainted anyways.......or I could also temporarily plug the holes until I can afford the body work. But I don't know how or where to buy the parts I need, I'm new to this. Overall, what would you guys do in my shoes? Sorry for the wall of text.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'd probably remove the ground effects now & deal with the holes until you can get them filled. If the ground effects are in good enough shape to be on a car then I'd sell them.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find someone local with a red camaro who wants a rs kit & trade your front rear bumpers for theirs
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did they make SS cars with the y87 kit on it? I thought only Z28 and V6's had the option because of the different spoiler that came with the SS package. Find out if you have the y87 code on your door jam sticker, because that could definitely make working with it a hell of a lot easier. It sounds like a previous owner may have put them on.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
Did they make SS cars with the y87 kit on it? I thought only Z28 and V6's had the option because of the different spoiler that came with the SS package. Find out if you have the y87 code on your door jam sticker, because that could definitely make working with it a hell of a lot easier. It sounds like a previous owner may have put them on.
Y87 is a v6 performance package only, Y3F is the gfx's pack, and according to Scott Settlemire fbodfather only one SS even accidentally got shipped out with the Y3F option.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do end up removing them, be sure to take good care of the front pieces as they're no longer available. Hawks sells them for a small fortune.

Quick Reply: RS ground effects removal