Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

faded windshield cowling

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faded windshield cowling

hopefully this will save someone the trouble,

My windshield cowling was faded pretty bad and since the car is black, it stuck out to me. Trying to get the wipers off was a pita. I started with unbolting and trying to wiggle them off, no avail. So then i went to the store and bought a puller and pb blaster still couldn't get it. Finally I got a battery terminal puller and soaked in pb over night and got the center one off, but the puller wouldn't fit on the driver side, so with reallllly light prying amd shaking it it finally came off. I know they make wipe pullers but I didnt feel like waiting for one in the mail.

This kind did not work, It just kept slipping off

This one worked for the center wiper

One the wipers are off pop the pins, remove the two pieces, I washed them with dish soap and scrubbed before painting to get pb blaster off, hang them up by a wire hanger and paint. I used plasti dip because I figured it would have less chance of flaking.

A few coats and youre good to go. Take a wire brush to the wiper terminals to clean them off a little, re instal the cowling, bolt the wipers back on, drink a beer
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine gets kind of cruddy too after a few weeks, but im too lazy to do that so i just hit it with a little Mothers back to black and its good to go. but looks good though nice mod
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
mine gets kind of cruddy too after a few weeks, but im too lazy to do that so i just hit it with a little Mothers back to black and its good to go. but looks good though nice mod
Lol I'm too lazy to hit it with mequires everytime i wash it... Plus having it sit in the garage until i get my plates has made me want to utilize the time.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this other stuff i use that works really good and is more durable than back to black. Once i find the bottle i'll snap a pic. Its awesome stuff that i got from Advanced Auto
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I've never seen that out here in ca but Ill keep an eye out.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i used to have Back To Black and i gave up on it. This stuff is top notch...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would recommend using mother's back to black trim cleaner which is a new product for 2014 and then follow that up with wolfgangs trim sealant. It's got some good longevity. I'm currently applying this combo to all the trim and rubber on the car.

Quick Reply: faded windshield cowling