Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

cobalt seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cobalt seats

anybody thought ofcobalt seats? they look comfortable side bolsters and all heard or dreamt of cobalt ss seats work I have a 1sc so no power seats wondering how hard to install? I have a wire feed so welding is no problem. junk yards have them? and what do I look for ,I'm kinda big 6ft 4 265lbs but I fit my stock camaro seats any ideas on the cheap would be appreciated. the oldman...
Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a Cobalt SS as a work car for a few years with Recaro seats. The seats are amazing but getting them into the Camaro would be alot of fabrication work. The 2 seat frame styles are night and day different. The Cobalt frame/lower adjuster and upper adjuster for the seat back are all integrated into one piece, for the lower cushion theres a steel bucket that bolts to the frame assembly that the lower cushion sets in, the top is foam over the frame. The way the seat mounts to the floor is claw hooks in the front and bolts in the rear. If your fabbing, welding and creativity skills are good, this may all well be an afternoon project. I was going to play around with this swap when I had my Cobalt, but ultimately I got too busy in school and never revisited it again. Width wise the work as I had one of Recaros loosely positioned in my Camaro. Height wise they are on the taller side, but I think some of the height could be knocked down when the mounting solution is discovered. If you decide to tackle this post lots of pics.

This is pretty subjective, but I have been in and driven Cobalt SS's that had the standard leather seats. I found them to be at best, the same as the Camaro seats. The bolstering is absolutely terrible on the standard no-Recaro seats.

An idea for ya here, is look for 08-2010 SS seats. They were not Recaros like the 05-07, but the bolstering is much better and its just a better seat all around. Those seats were a cloth/leather outers with micro suede inserts.
08-10 style.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

I daily a 2009 SS/TC, and the seats are awesome. Very supportive yet comfortable as well, and easy to keep clean. Really can;t comment on the difficulty, but it would be cool to see!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

08-10 the search is on.thanks lt4vert. I gorilla weld ugly as heck ,but strong.can't weld for crap, but I can grind like a pro. just kidding. wish I could weld gum wrappers together. cobalt ss cool thanks will take pics. the bone yards I go to might not be the most modern but i'll give it a shot. the oldman..........
Old 08-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with this. It's gonna be more work finding them than it is fabbing them in.

I've looked around as they are a direct bolt-in for my DD G6 and while the SS Supercharged seats as hard to find, the optional recaro seats are impossible. The standard seats suck, btw.

The SS Turbo seats will be slightly easier to find, but if you get 2 for under $1000 I would be surprised. Even at those inflated prices, they sell FAST when they turn up.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

gonna try to put my feelers out tomorrow and see what pops
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it doesn't work out we have a few of our seats available again...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...products_id=67

...and we can customize them

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=259

Quick Reply: cobalt seats