Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED and hid conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED and hid conversion help

Ok all this led information on here is all over the place and depending on what u have swapped or not swapped depends on what u need.also some parts seem to be no longer sold. ...so lets make this simple.. no one sentence responses about your setup unless of course yours is what mine will be.....here's what I want to do...
Corner lights, ambers and reds to LED
Running lights LED...white constant/ Amber turn signal flash..(two separate bulbs are needed)
Reverse lights white LED or HID. Hid preferred
Fog lights HID white
Headlights will be halogen from lmc if that is information u need.
Brake lights LED sequential
third Brake light (high rise) led

Please provide me a shopping list for bulbs , flashers and any other information to help out thanks

2002 trans am Ws6

Last edited by C-Note13; 09-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the drl lights, I'm assuming for a t/a? In order to do it right, you'll need to check the housings to see if they have any cracks or melting on the tops (this is caused by the bulb being put in from the bottom and heating damaging the housings allowing water in, damaging the bulb socket) What I did was get new housings, new sockets (mine were damaged pretty bad) amber LED 3157 bulbs from superbrightleds.com and an electronic flasher so the turn signals would work correctly with the LEDs. several people have done the flashbacks tho, should get a response with those bulbs, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

reverse lights: don't think you'll be able to do any sort of hid in there, ballast won't warm up from the time you go from park to reverse, back up, and off in drive... best bet is a 1156 LED.....
Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C-Note13
Running lights LED...white constant/ Amber turn signal flash..(two separate bulbs are needed)
NOPE, this is where you get a Switchback LED, 2 colors from 1 bulb.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...witchback.html

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 09-16-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the start...U got a point on the reverse lights , and as for the drl...I only came across those that used two bulbs..but a switch back sounds easier...as for that flasher will the electronic one work whether or not I have leds for the honeycomb lights? Or should I just stick with the stock bulbs and just get a sequencial...that one I'm open on what bulbs I use just simply because that seems to be when confusing inputs for which flasher to use come up...
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in reverse LEDs and they are effing bright. no need for HID lol
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

why not just do all LED bulbs. i just did on my 14 cad AT. everyhting LED. LED headlight bulbs , better than HID no warm up time nice even color good vision. cree ultra bright led bulbs for reverse lights (white) and front turn signals (amber) all the interior bulbs re led now. hell on my c6 everything is led except the headlights cuz those are factory hid. the wifes tahoe is all led except headlights s i did those HID previous but i just ordered LED headlights for that as well. it will be LED low& hi beams LED foglights. the cree LEDs are super bright.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
why not just do all LED bulbs. i just did on my 14 cad AT. everyhting LED. LED headlight bulbs , better than HID no warm up time nice even color good vision. cree ultra bright led bulbs for reverse lights (white) and front turn signals (amber) all the interior bulbs re led now. hell on my c6 everything is led except the headlights cuz those are factory hid. the wifes tahoe is all led except headlights s i did those HID previous but i just ordered LED headlights for that as well. it will be LED low& hi beams LED foglights. the cree LEDs are super bright.
I'll look into those for leds for the fog lights and reverse ...superbrightleds has a good selection for the turn signal and corners..I may or may not use led for headlights as I believe I will be fine with nice halogens with those lmc lamps...The issue I've seen on the fogs was that they look bright looking at the car but it doesn't lay enough on the ground or similar to halogen...so I may drop the hid idea from fogs also....if anyone knows what flasher I'll need for having this many leds that would be great too..
Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LEDs in everything can break your cruise control and turn signal (even if you put an "electronic" flasher).

I have LEDs for my rear tail lights and reverse lights. that is it and I love it.

BLS headlights as well...
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

See my posts in this thread about drop-in LED headlight bulbs and why they aren't the answer:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...uys-using.html
Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Teching In

What's cruise control...lol...well there seems to be a lot of stir over the flasher...which is the biggest mystery here....I'm going halogen for heads and fogs.....everything else led...I'd like to do sequencing tails also. This seems to the whole setup everyone recommends so can I just get a part number for the flasher and I suppose one for the sequencial would be helpful too...thanks guys for the information so far...

Quick Reply: LED and hid conversion help