Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

plastidip advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochdog
Yea this gone be my first too so was spraying the paint hard an so would 4 coats be just right
No it was not hard. Just watch videos on YouTube and don't rush. The biggest thing is you need a clean work environment. I did mine inside a garage, I just hung curtains so that there wouldn't be over-spray all over everything. Just make sure the car is extremely clean before beginning. 4 coats would work, but the thing with plast-dip is that the more coats you do the easier you can peel it off in the futre. If you only do a few light coats then it will rip and tear off in small chunks when you try to remove it.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
No it was not hard. Just watch videos on YouTube and don't rush. The biggest thing is you need a clean work environment. I did mine inside a garage, I just hung curtains so that there wouldn't be over-spray all over everything. Just make sure the car is extremely clean before beginning. 4 coats would work, but the thing with plast-dip is that the more coats you do the easier you can peel it off in the futre. If you only do a few light coats then it will rip and tear off in small chunks when you try to remove it.
Ok thanks for the tips how long does it take to dry in all an do I let it dry when doin coats
Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Launching!

https://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom/videos

Plastic dip has come a long way.There is pearls and clears now.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Should be fine. Just read up on it and watch vids. good luck!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

how many gallons did it take im going buy my plasidip friday
Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

As I've said before, look up YouTube videos and call dipyourcar.com and they will tell you all you need to know. I used 3 gallons. IMO that isnt enough, it looks great but will be tough to peel off now. When I change colors I will do 5 gallons. Also I dont know what color you are doing but if you do white then make sure you put on a good basecoat of gunmetal grey. Good luck
Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

As I've said before, look up YouTube videos and call dipyourcar.com and they will tell you all you need to know. I used 3 gallons. IMO that isnt enough, it looks great but will be tough to peel off now. When I change colors I will do 5 gallons. Also I dont know what color you are doing but if you do white then make sure you put on a good basecoat of gunmetal grey. Good luck
Ok thanks man that helps me cause they have an sale goin on I can get 4 gallon for bout $250 I'm going to do the gunmetal with an some kinda pearl an a gloss coat too
Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Thats a good price! Be sure to post up some pics of the end results!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thats a good price! Be sure to post up some pics of the end results!
As of now I gotten all of my plastidip I bought 2 gallons of gun metal grey and 2 gallons of gloss clear. I'm goin to do the holographic silver micro flake also I'm thinking of adding the gold to green to blue chameleon color shift. When the spring hits ima dip it along with an change in rims probably the rims niche ritz in 19s
Old 12-27-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a kit from dipyourcar.com. I'm going with satin black (not flat) and Anthracite gray wheels. Someone mentioned above...the dips have come a long way
Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Dipped mine satin black/black betty pearl after deer took out both front fenders. Also covers peeling clear coat rather well.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone hates on Plasti-dip but I bet most dont have personal experience with it. I dipped my whole car matte white, and I already know what my next two colors will be. The car looks great, it's beyond easy to clean, and best of all? Its not permanent. My black paint is flawless beneath the dip, so if anything it is just protecting it. Ill be peeling it this winter and going with a different color. I use to hate on plasti-dip too until I tried it. I would have to say that it doesnt look "ghetto" or like a "shitbox" to me, but everyone has their opinions, which is fine.
And to answer the original question, no it is not hard to get good coverage in tight spaces. Just take your time

I just pulled the dip off the sail panel and mirrors to see what it would look like. Its all coming off this winter and a new color going on it.

I finally dipped my car I did the gun metal grey plastidip and with new wheels the 19inch gun metal niche vernoa wheels with pink tinted head lights (looks peach colored when lights on) man my camaro looks good I'll post a pic soon. I also made the choice to go black with the holographic sliver with gloss on top as my next task from plastidip
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally dipped my car I did the gun metal grey plastidip and with new wheels the 19inch gun metal niche vernoa wheels with pink tinted head lights (looks peach colored when lights on) man my camaro looks good I'll post a pic soon. I also made the choice to go black with the holographic sliver with gloss on top as my next task from plastidip
still waiting on those picts bro!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be dipping my daily Sapphire Blue Pearl with a black base this spring. Will be my first time doing a full car dip.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
it sounds like a good canidate for plasti dip and you can save up until you can get a real paint job and paint it PPM since it is such an awesome color
Well, if he's going to get it repainted in the future, I suggest Hugger Orange.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
still waiting on those picts bro!
I will up load a few pics tomorrow and orange I haven't seen any camaro that color but only the new ones
Old 03-14-2015, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Thinking about black/red/silver pearls mixed on my car in the spring.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spy2520
Thinking about black/red/silver pearls mixed on my car in the spring.
what kinda silver pearls are u gone use
Old 03-14-2015, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

what kinda silver pearls are u gone use
Good question. Maybe hyper titanium. Or something slightly darker.

Or even black Betty + hyper titanium. And ruby red microflake. I dunno. A lot of options. And if it looks like **** I'll just peel it back off. Definitely gonna test it first though.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spy2520
Good question. Maybe hyper titanium. Or something slightly darker.

Or even black Betty + hyper titanium. And ruby red microflake. I dunno. A lot of options. And if it looks like **** I'll just peel it back off. Definitely gonna test it first though.
I'll say do the gunmetal grey with titaniuam pearl or the silver madness they did on YouTube

Quick Reply: plastidip advice