Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Door Skin Edge Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Door Skin Edge Damage

Worked on the TA today in the garage with the door wide open. Accidently knocked it out of gear causing it to roll back. As it did the edge of my door caught the wood framing along the wall of my garage and crunched the damn edge of my door about 1 inch long and .25 inch deep. Sound fixable?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

OUCH that does not look good. Heres to hoping someone can suggest something outside of replacing the entire door. Good Luck
Old 03-14-2015, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Any competent body shop can fix that damage on the door edge. For the color to match properly, they'll need to blend the quarter panel as well. Depending on your area and local body shop labor rate per hour, expect to spend between $700-$1200. Look for a shop that offers a liftetime warranty on the repair work as well.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
Any competent body shop can fix that damage on the door edge. For the color to match properly, they'll need to blend the quarter panel as well. Depending on your area and local body shop labor rate per hour, expect to spend between $700-$1200. Look for a shop that offers a liftetime warranty on the repair work as well.
Lol that's crazy. It would only cost $200 for a complete door if I could find the right color.

I thought about injecting the cracked areas with some resin and using a wood block cut to the shape of the door to press it back into it original position with some claps. Think that would hold?

One of these days I was going to get the front clip painted so it probably wouldn't cost much more to shoot the door as well.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Lol that's crazy. It would only cost $200 for a complete door if I could find the right color.

I thought about injecting the cracked areas with some resin and using a wood block cut to the shape of the door to press it back into it original position with some claps. Think that would hold?

One of these days I was going to get the front clip painted so it probably wouldn't cost much more to shoot the door as well.

only use products made for SMC (sheet molded compound) materials! DO NOT use anything for fiberglass or bondo! only problem fixing in that area is every time you slam the door it sends a shock wave though the door and may cause problems in the future. best way to fix is with another door. I have a door if needed.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
only use products made for SMC (sheet molded compound) materials! DO NOT use anything for fiberglass or bondo! only problem fixing in that area is every time you slam the door it sends a shock wave though the door and may cause problems in the future. best way to fix is with another door. I have a door if needed.
I thought SMC is fiberglass.... sure feels like fiberglass on your skin. What color door do you have? I found some local for $100 but have to get them painted so I can wait.

Quick Reply: Door Skin Edge Damage